Mash Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with my mash temps? How do you determine what temp your water needs to be when you add it to the grains? I did a search but I cant find anything that is much help, so I thought Id just ask. Just incase this is needed for you guys' input here is the grain bill.

10.5# Two Row Pale
.5# Crystal 20
.5# Crystal 40
.5# Victory

Thanks alot!!!!!

another option: download the evaluation version of promash. it won't expire but you can only save 1 recipe or something like that.
but is has mash temp and water volume calculators.

Thanks for the info. I think I may have worded my question wrong. What I meant was what temp do I need to mash at? And how is this temp determined?

in a nut shell, the temperature determines the proportion of different enzymes that are active in converting starches to sugars. lower temps will convert more starch to maltose (fermentable), while higher temps will convert more starch to dextrins (not fermentable). therefore, a low mash temp, say 144-150, will make a higher alcohol, dryer beer, and a higher mash temp of 152-158 will make a sweeter, more full bodied beer.

It seems you are looking for a ball-park figure. To mash at about 66 C (151F), I find I have to have the (strike) water at about 81 C (178F). Of course, this depends on the temperature and material of your mashing container, the temperature and quantity of the grain, room temperature, how long you take to add and stir the grain. I use a plastic container for mashing (not preheated) and the grains (~14 lbs) are a normal room temperature.

Back