May go legal! How do i get FDA label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I may go legal and the FDA wants a correct nutrition facts label.
Anyone know an inexpensive way to get the lab work done? A college? A economy lab? Any tips?

You don't need a nutrition facts label unless you're producing more than 250,000 gallons of cider annually.

LeBreton said:
unless you're producing more than 250,000 gallons of cider annually.

What about an ingredient list? I noticed Julian hard cider from Julian California does not have any ingredients list or the nutritional facts thing?

And where can I find that documentation in writing? I need to have all my ducks in a row so I'm legal...

Go to the California state bar association and see if you can find a laywer that deals with wine makers etc. Or do the same thing for accounts but look for a small local firm as theywill tend to be willing to talk more for free.

One definitely has to deal with the TTB more when making a 7%+ 'cider' as opposed to a <7% 'hard cider', submitting COLAs is a great example, but they're still a large part of the picture. They're one ones who define what a 'small producer' is and apply different rules, like the small producers tax credit and different labeling requirements.

A buddy of mine who opened a cidery last year recently got audited by the TTB. Gave him a host of trouble, from bottle format, to labeling requirements, to bringing up production and storage questions since he used the facilities at a (legally bonded) winery. Now, they weren't just out to get him and did help him address the various issues, but it was still a PITA.

Edit: Realized I forgot to answer the original question! Take a look/ask around around for labs catering to the wine industry, there should be a number of reputable ones not too far away from you that you can send a sample too and have them run a whole bunch of tests on. Also, talk to your local university agricultural extension, they'll often give assistance to people getting started, from lab facilities, to consulting, to references if they can't personally help you.

When you open for business, let me know so I can order a case!

LeBreton said:
Edit: Realized I forgot to answer the original question! Take a look/ask around around for labs catering to the wine industry, there should be a number of reputable ones not too far away from you that you can send a sample too and have them run a whole bunch of tests on. Also, talk to your local university agricultural extension, they'll often give assistance to people getting started, from lab facilities, to consulting, to references if they can't personally help you.

When you open for business, let me know so I can order a case!

Thanks, but I'm confused? I thought you said I don't need nutritional facts on my label if I produce less then 250,000 gallons a year?
A lab is like $700 to test everything? Can't I skip that, because I'm gonna be WAY under 250,000 gallons? Or could I have trouble with TTB for not catering to that FDA thing?

And when I open ill totally let you know :)

Remember that some states go above and beyond what the federal regulations require. It may be in Idaho you'd be fine, but CA may have other requirements. Hence my original comment. You may also have special taxes associated with what your doing.

Latest posts

Back