Under Pitched my 100% Brett C beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
I made a 2L starter from a vial of white labs 645 in a gallon water jug.

shook it occationally and let it sit at room temp (68) for 24 hours then pitched the entire contents.

OG was 1.074 and after 6 days the SG is at 1.058-1.060 (didnt have time to wait for the foam to settle in my theif)

airlock activity was pretty rampant for the past 4 days with a nice 1 inch krausen, but now the krausen is all but gone and airlock activity has slowed significantly.

after taking the SG reading today i gave the carboy a hand ful of twists back and forth while it was still on the ground (being careful not to slosh the beer.)

immediately the airlock started kicking back up again.

ambient room temp is 68-72 and the carboy has 2 hoodies on it to keep it warm.

Way, way, way under pitched unfortunately. Brett (my thoughts on the actual contents of 645 aside) takes about 8 days to reach maximum cell count under optimal conditions - on a stir plate at 70-80 degrees. Probably need to starters to grow enough from the small cell count in white labs Brett.

Way, way, way under pitched unfortunately. Brett (my thoughts on the actual contents of 645 aside) takes about 8 days to reach maximum cell count under optimal conditions - on a stir plate at 70-80 degrees. Probably need to starters to grow enough from the small cell count in white labs Brett.

So what should I do?

Buy another bottle? Or try another strain of yeast? Or just wait it out?

mullenium said:
So what should I do?

Buy another bottle? Or try another strain of yeast? Or just wait it out?

I don't have a clue or would i have made a suggestion. What's the recipe like / what are you going for?

I don't have a clue or would i have made a suggestion. What's the recipe like / what are you going for?

It's a mo betta bretta clone off of byo mag

http://byo.com/american-amber-pale-ale/item/262-brettanomyces

Doing the extract option.

0.23 kg) of 2-row pale malt, 0.5 lbs.
(0.23 kg) of CaraPils malt, 0.5 lbs.
(0.23 kg) of flaked oats and 0.5 lbs.
(0.23 kg) Munich malt.

Plus one packet of yeast nutrient
3lbs dme and 4.15 lbs lme

And 0.25oz magnum hops @60min

mullenium said:
It's a mo betta bretta clone off of byo mag

http://byo.com/american-amber-pale-ale/item/262-brettanomyces

Doing the extract option.

0.23 kg) of 2-row pale malt, 0.5 lbs.
(0.23 kg) of CaraPils malt, 0.5 lbs.
(0.23 kg) of flaked oats and 0.5 lbs.
(0.23 kg) Munich malt.

Plus one packet of yeast nutrient
3lbs dme and 4.15 lbs lme

And 0.25oz magnum hops @60min

I was looking at that yesterday. A buddy gave me the 250 clones issue. I guess I might get another Brett strain, wyeast have higher cell counts, make a 1l starter for a week, and pitch that.

I was looking at that yesterday. A buddy gave me the 250 clones issue. I guess I might get another Brett strain, wyeast have higher cell counts, make a 1l starter for a week, and pitch that.

I've never even tried the mo betta bretta beer so i dont really care if the beer i make is different.

so you have a good point, maybe grab a smack pack of a wyeast brett strain and start it up

or maybe some lacto? I was trying to make a refreshing fruity sour beer.. but i dont want to nessicarily let it age for 10 months like consecration.

I'm currently of the opinion white labs c isn't pure and has lacto in it, but you can find that in another thread going now. I like wyeast Brux for bottle conditioning, haven't used it as the sole strain for primary. I'd go for wyeast lambicus, but I haven't used it. I have really liked what I've gotten from a cantillon isolated strain for what that may be worth. Little to nothing prolly.

Back