bee cave oktoberfest parti gyle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm planning a 10 gal batch of Oktoberfest and would like to sparge another batch of something outta those grains. Looking for a 5 gal batch after my original 10.

Would there be enough left in my mash for that do you think?

I was thinking of adding a little chocolate and roasted barley for a makeshift stout.

What do you think?

Thanks!

I just did this recipe for a 5gal batch and I did a double batch sparge the tail end of the 2nd sparge was kinda thin might need to add a couple lbs of malt to make it work

There were a couple of brothers way back in the pilgrim days. Their name was Duff. They were brewers in Britian. If you read about how beer was brewed back then, you'll see, that many brewers ran off three brews from one grain batch. Then, the spent grains were dumped, or farmers would take it. The Duff Bros. would take the spent grain and brew more beer from it. When the brothers showed up in America, because they were thrown out of Britian. They began doing the same thing. They were both tarred and feathered and sent back to Britian. Where they became lost in history. The term Duff/Duffer is still used in a derogatory sense...... If you run off to 1010-12 or until your pH goes haywire. You really shouldn't have any extract left worth anything. You'll need to beef up the grain bill for fifteen gallons. Run off the ten. The last five, take what you get. Doing it any other way, you risk making tannic swill. Just like the Duff's.

Ok, I went ahead with it. Double batch of Oktoberfest followed by oatmeal stout. I added 3lbs base malt and various specialty grains. Long story short, I won't do this again. Gravity was pretty low on the stout.

Not only was Vlad right, he was also entertaining!

Oh well, we'll see what happens. Lesson learned.

Back