Advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandrascik33

Reaction score
I used to homebrew pretty regularly, but due to many changes in my life I have been unable for almost 2 years. To ease back in I decided to use a kit that I had brewed in the past with wonderful results.

After bottling and conditioning for 4 weeks, the beer was undrinkable, they have a very strong bitter taste that this style obviously should not. After 6, 8, and now 12 weeks the off flavor hasnt weakened at all.

I sanitized using B-Brite like I always did, and I know there are only 2 variables that could be involved here (since I used the same kit/instructions to avoid any potential variables).

I have used tap water in this brew and a recent wine (which was good, but had subtle versions of the same off flavor) whereas I used to use bottled water due to where I was living at the time (poor water taste/quality).

Or more likely, I found mold on a wall in the room I was storing my equipment in, which was all sanitized and relocated since.

Should I scrap all my equipment, since theres potentially still something there screwing up my brew? Is there something else I can do to resterilize with authority?

I want to brew this weekend, avoiding the cost of purchasing all new equipment. I am going to use bottled water this time. What can I do to sterilize the equipment for 1 last brew before scrapping my invesment?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, brand new and still finding my way around. Thank you in advance for any help

Bleach everything except stainless steel...

No need to trash anything unless its seriously worn and has deep scratches for bacteria to hide.

Could it be that your hiatus left you a little rusty and forgot some steps along the way when sanitizing, bottling, transferring, etc?

Oh, and sterilization and sanitization are two very different terms...

Star San is your friend! My first batch I ever made had a bitter aftertaste even though I used bottled water. I think it was a combination of primary fermenting for less than 2 weeks, not aerating the cooled wort before transfer to fermenter and too high a fermentation temperature. Once I started paying attention to those 3 variables my beer is coming out so nice I grin every time I taste one!

Ok I can't figure out how to post a new three on my iPad but I need some advice. I am trying my first Bach of a fruit beer and I racked the beer into the secondary fermenter over the fruit 36hrs ago and there is still no bubbling in my air lock. I had assumed that with the addition of fruit there would be some kind of reaction from the yeast but have yet to see noticeable action. Do I need to pitch more yeast in the secondary to break down the sugar from the berries or should I just leave it? I racked on day 3 of fermentation as the bubbling had slowed to once per minute or so. Please help me as I would really hate for this brew to come out bad.

Bleach everything except stainless steel...

No need to trash anything unless its seriously worn and has deep scratches for bacteria to hide.

Could it be that your hiatus left you a little rusty and forgot some steps along the way when sanitizing, bottling, transferring, etc?[/QUOTE]

I thought about that, but this was a very easy recipe, and when I say I used to brew, I used to brew alot. I was very careful to sanitize everything start to finish. I know B-Brite isn't the most recommended sanitizer, but I have only used that in the past with no ill effect. I will try diluted bleach today and star san sunday before brewing...leave no chance for those little bugs.

I never made a bad beer back in the day, my pride is a little bruised, but the juice is worth the squeeze. Thanks for your replies

Ok I can't figure out how to post a new three on my iPad but I need some advice. I am trying my first Bach of a fruit beer and I racked the beer into the secondary fermenter over the fruit 36hrs ago and there is still no bubbling in my air lock. I had assumed that with the addition of fruit there would be some kind of reaction from the yeast but have yet to see noticeable action. Do I need to pitch more yeast in the secondary to break down the sugar from the berries or should I just leave it? I racked on day 3 of fermentation as the bubbling had slowed to once per minute or so. Please help me as I would really hate for this brew to come out bad.

I'm no pro, but airlock activity is not a good indicator of what the yeast are up to. Hydrometer reading would be my course of action, see if its getting lower, and you'll know if they are feasting.

No need to pitch more yeast, Christo636. There are hundreds of billions in there, maybe even trillions. Patience is what is required. In a couple of weeks, take a hydrometer reading, see if it is close to your expectations, and taste the sample to see if the fruit matches your expectations.

He's using a kit (I'm assuming extract) so I don't think astringency is the problem, unless it has steeped grains that got boiled with the wort. I'm guessing its the water.

It also goes on to talk about the "braun hefe" or brown yeast (krausen) having a bitter taste. Too much of it settling back down in the beer can cause it too. That's where the Burton blow off comes in. It also says too much hops or too much with high AA% can cause it as well. It also mentions hot break trub.
Some interesting things that can cause trouble tyou wouldn't normally think.

It also goes on to talk about the "braun hefe" or brown yeast (krausen) having a bitter taste. Too much of it settling back down in the beer can cause it too. That's where the Burton blow off comes in. It also says too much hops or too much with high AA% can cause it as well. It also mentions hot break trub.
Some interesting things that can cause trouble tyou wouldn't normally think.

True, all of which are good things to know. I wasn't really trying to question your post, its good information. But since he's made this kit before with good success, those issues probably aren't the problem. Hard water is a common source of bitterness, and since that's the only thing he's changed, Im guessing its the water.

Hang Glider said:
No need to pitch more yeast, Christo636. There are hundreds of billions in there, maybe even trillions. Patience is what is required. In a couple of weeks, take a hydrometer reading, see if it is close to your expectations, and taste the sample to see if the fruit matches your expectations.

Thanks will do!

christo636 said:
Thanks will do!

Just bottled this yesterday, left fruit in secondary for two weeks and FG reading was 1.010 at bottling. Had a little bit of a wine smell to it. Hoping it fades as it conditions in the bottle while carbing.

Back