mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,
Getting back into brewing after a long hiatus due to military concerns and I have a question about mash temps. I don't have all my equipment here right now since it's still in transit due to my changing duty stations, so I'll be doing BIAB on the stovetop. Naturally, with this setup I won't have nearly the control over mash temp as I'd like, but could I just make my initial infusion a little higher than I want and let it drift down over the course of the mash without sacrificing the character I'm going for? Thanks and its great be brewing again.

Sure, that's fine. You'll have to experiment a bit to find the profile you want, as 154->150 won't have precisely the same character as 152, for example. There are other tried and true methods, as well, such as the noble wrap-your-pot-in-a-sleeping-bag approach or the venerable stick-it-in-a-preheated-oven technique.

I was able to keep my brew at a constant temp for almost 60 min using a heavy jacket around my pot and I stirred it a couple of times. This also helped bring it to a boil faster. But be warned don't get that jacket close to the burner

Back