Botched element install - advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonlor20

Reaction score
I have been trying to complete my electric brewery over the last two days and I am not having a whole lot of success. I am using all weldless fittings. My water heater element really seemed to struggle with leaks - I may have finally fixed that issue, but when I potted my element with jb weld, the jb weld didn't set properly. Now I am left with a black, sticky, goopy mess. I think where I went wrong was trying to mix the steel and hardener in the end cap rather than a separate container.

I am trying to pot the element in a PVC end cap which would be attached via a weldless fitting to my brew kettle. Ideally, I want to install two such elements. So now what I need help with is this:

Should I just dump hardener in the end cap and see what happens or should I use some other solution like squirting epoxy around the edges and in the slot where the power cable comes out the back and let that harden around the job weld? Or will the jb weld eventually harden up?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We are well past 24 hours now and I was using the quick set version of jb weld. Thanks!

I wouldn't dump hardener in there, it won't mix properly and you'll just have more goop. Also, simply epoxying around the cord will not fix the issue in the cap, which is that the epoxy hasn't properly cured.

I would recommend starting over. You could try to pull it all apart and clean the element base, but any solvent that will sufficiently clean the partly cured epoxy will most likely compromise the integrity of the plastic postion of the element. If it were my system I'd chalk it up to a learning experience, get a new element and cap, clip the existing cord as close to the cap as possible and do it over. Next time mix the epoxy in a separate container and pour it into the cap.

I would second triggers suggestion. Clip it buy another element and plastic coupler. You don't want a short or soemthing in that element trying to clean it. 120v tingles, 240 hurts

Well I just did a Goggle on it. Use {WD-40} Clean it off the best ya can use {Q-tips} ,Then clean off the WD40 with some Nail polish remover. And re-glue or pot it ;) Jay P/S the {quick JB is only half the strength of regular}, Use regular JB only

Back