Spent Grain and Black Bean Burgers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rakes

Reaction score
Here is my recipe for Black Bean, Bulgur and Spent Grain Burgers

Prepare
1 cup dry black beans, soaked, cooked for 30mins, resulting in approx 2 cups beans
1/2 –1 cup bulgur, soaked until soft (can also use some buckwheat grains), then drained
1 cup spent grains (can use more grains, and less bulgur as desired), dry out as much moisture as possible

Chop the following, and sauté in 1-2 tbl olive oil until just soft
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 red or green pepper, finely diced
1-2 carrots, finely diced
1+ jalapeno, finely diced

Mix thoroughly the above with:
1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup breadcrumbs or less (just enough to help dry out mix a bit)
2-4 garlic cloves, chopped
½-1 cup chopped cilantro
2 teaspoon ground cumin
zest of 1 lime
juice of same lime

Make into patties; refrigerate for 2-3 hours until firm. Freezes well. Cook on stove-top with small amount of olive oil until nicely browned on each side (4-5mins).

Sounds like it's worth trying, but wouldn't an egg help hold it all together? How does it hold up on the grill? (or do you usually pan fry these?)

I opted out of the egg as I have a friend w/ an egg allergy. I pan fry them and they hold up very well - might not so much on the grill. I even try minimize the amount of breadcrumbs and only just use to help hold them together. They're very good pan fried with just a small amount of olive oil.
I make a large batch and freeze most until I want one.

Back