Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh. With bacon sounds delicious.

When I asked my father-in-law what to do with it he only said, "Smoke it." He doesn't smoke but he said that it tastes the best that way to him.

Any recommendations on wood? I have apple, plum and pecan on hand.

I think I'd do Apple personally, as it's an all around good meat smoking wood, and a little less sweet than the plum.

I've never smoked with Pecan wood before, so I can't comment on that one.

I think I'd do Apple personally, as it's an all around good meat smoking wood, and a little less sweet than the plum.

I've never smoked with Pecan wood before, so I can't comment on that one.

I use pecan quite a bit. It's a subtle, nutty, slightly sweet wood. Very light coloring from the smoke on it, but it's great when you want a kiss of sweet smoke without any acrid notes.

I wouldn't think it would awesome on a boar/pork unless paired with something like apple. It's awesome for poultry and whatnot though.

I'd do apple for the boar, and maybe a handful of pecan to give it a little extra oompfh.

I've shot a decent amount of honkers in the last 7 days so I'm gonna smoke a few breasts this weekend. Got a few different brines/sauces to try out and see what is best.

I am doin some Roadside chicken for the whole fam damily this afternoon. They're all headin to the hockey game and we're gonna keep the youngest grand baby. How we got the better end of that deal I'll never know. LOL

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390763121.688114.jpg

Got my smoker fixed about 2 weeks ago. First Boston butt. 10 pounder is gonna take a while. Man, I've missed this!!!

I smoked a few canada goose breasts yesterday. Put them in the fridge then slicing them tonight for sammiches. I'll post some pictures if I remember to take them.

Jerk canada goose breast. Smoked to an internal temp of 155 then chilled overnight and sliced thin. Greeeeeaaaaaatttt.

smoked goose.jpg

I have a freezer full due to a recent hunting trip in Canada.

Sweet. Mainly canadas? Or did you get some snows and specks too? We're planning a conservation season trip for snows in the next few months. Hopin to come home with 40 or so. Sill got 10 or so canadas in the freezer tho. Plus I just ended bow season with a 5 pt so I should have jerky for the coming year.

I'm brewing instead of smoking right now, but I've got 1 rack of spares, and 1 rack of back loin ribs rubbed and chillin out for a smoke tomorrow with some apple and a tiny tiny bit of mesquite.. Dunno why the mesquite other than I've been craving smelling it.

Have 3 racks of baby backs on right now. Just went out and sprayed them with a bit of Graff cider. :D

I should go get a chicken tomorrow to toss in the egg with the ribs... Totally overlooked that. So damn simple too.

Sweet. Mainly canadas? Or did you get some snows and specks too? We're planning a conservation season trip for snows in the next few months. Hopin to come home with 40 or so. Sill got 10 or so canadas in the freezer tho. Plus I just ended bow season with a 5 pt so I should have jerky for the coming year.

I brought home all specks and mallards. We shot mostly specks and snows

Smoked chicken wings hand dipped in carribean jerk seasonings smoked with hickory. Taste is fantastic.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

1391372838449.jpg

1391372851056.jpg

I picked up a couple racks of baby backs that will be marinating over night and smoked with some hickory tomorrow :mug:

I've got some bacon on the cure. One maple brown sugar and one maple blueberry. I'll probably smoke one or both of them. I've also got some duck prosciutto in salt right now. I'll hang it tomorrow. First time for that.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392569197.036148.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392569211.128590.jpg

Got my first sausage fatty ready to go! Pretty excited to start back up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home

I need to make a fatty.. Dunno what kind..

Maybe a spicy italian sausage, lasagna noodles, sauce, and some cheeses inside of it..

Sounds like a good dinner experiment.

Friends coming over this weekend. I'm making pulled pork, but how i make it will depend on the weather. If it's nice and warm (almost 40) this week, I might fire up the electric smoker. Otherwise I'll probably just crock pot it. Not as good, but still not bad.

Then again, as long as the wind isn't too bad, I could provide some smoke on the smoker and then bring it in and finish in the oven...

I've got a whole chicken split open smoking along side some split chicken breast for dinner.

Whole chicken tonight, and using the split breast to do a smoked BBQ chicken pizza on the grill tomorrow night.

View attachment 180059

And the real reason for smoking today. A fresh wild boar ham.

Any tips/recommendations for the wild swine? I have a hog hunt this Saturday and plan to smoke/sausage most of it. Going to make the ribs first but I do my own butchering so I can leave cuts however I want. Is that a whole ham in your picture? If so was it a smaller hog (70 lbs or so)?

Any tips/recommendations for the wild swine? I have a hog hunt this Saturday and plan to smoke/sausage most of it. Going to make the ribs first but I do my own butchering so I can leave cuts however I want. Is that a whole ham in your picture? If so was it a smaller hog (70 lbs or so)?

I believe it was whole without the bone. Someone gave it to my wife after a hunt. They hunt differently here in Germany so it wouldn't be surprising if it was a smaller one.

As you probably know, it's extremely lean meat so smoke very low. I smoked at 200 but I've read that some people smoke around 170. I have absolutely no desire to smoke for 14 hours though. At 200, mine took 7 hours. I injected it the night before, put on some rub and that was it. It turned out pretty good. Ever so slightly dry but that's ok. I also didn't want to brine for 7 days. Made a great sandwich last night with some horseradish.

I believe it was whole without the bone. Someone gave it to my wife after a hunt. They hunt differently here in Germany so it wouldn't be surprising if it was a smaller one.

As you probably know, it's extremely lean meat so smoke very low. I smoked at 200 but I've read that some people smoke around 170. I have absolutely no desire to smoke for 14 hours though. At 200, mine took 7 hours. I injected it the night before, put on some rub and that was it. It turned out pretty good. Ever so slightly dry but that's ok. I also didn't want to brine for 7 days. Made a great sandwich last night with some horseradish.

Yea that seems to be the consensus super low heat and brine/mop the hell out of it. Hopefully I get one this weekend so I can let you know how it turns out :mug:

I did a couple of pork butts Wednesday, used chunks of the leftovers is New Mexican comfort food last night: posole. With 3 NM Barker chiles it was a little hot for comfort food but it was very delicious.

Back