Oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfan

Reaction score
For some reason after three years of brewing I have had issues with my finished gravity's being higher than what they should be by a large amount on my last three batches. I have come to the conclusion that I need more oxygen for my friendly yeast. What system does everyone recommend for a limited budget? I have looked into the the fish tank air filters and also the pure oxygen infusion systems. Also, how do the Gott coolers work for a lauter tun?

Thanks
Dan

"Limited Budget"? How much are you willing to spend. I got an aeration kit, complete with HEPA filter, from AHS for $30. Since I got it, my average attenuation has increased by at least 10%. Best $30 I ever spent.

Did you go with a 100% oxygen tank setup or one one that would hook up to a fish tank air pump? $30 is fine for me - I just am not ready to spend hundreds, I only brew enough for myself and occasionally slide some to my friends at this point.

Dan

No, I bought this one.

aeration.jpg

It's a small pump, no switch, you just plug it in and it turns on, unplug it and it turns off. There is a vinyl tube running out of it. In the middle of that tube line there is an inline HEPA filter to clean the air. At the end of the tube is an aeration stone. You plug the thing in, sanitize the tube, put the stone into your wort, and let it aerate for 20-60 mins. Very simple. I don't need no oxygenation kit...this thing works just great!

Do you use the defoamer? Also, did you create a hole in your fermentor to reduce the possibility of airborn bacteria getting into your wert while this is plugged in?

beerfan said:
Do you use the defoamer? Also, did you create a hole in your fermentor to reduce the possibility of airborn bacteria getting into your wert while this is plugged in?
  1. I've never had enough foam for it to be a problem. Usually, in my primary vessels, I have at least 6" between the surface of the wort and the opening...the foam has never gotten to be more than a thin film on top of the wort.
  2. As for the bacteria problem, well, I'd hate to see what happens if I "created" a hole in my glass carboys...no, what I do is insert the tube so that the square HEPA filter (see pic above) covers the carboy lip. I tape it in place, and given that most airborne bacteria that want to spoil my wort are falling directly downward, I'm not too concerned. I haven't had any problems so far...

Evan! said:
Hey, how much does it cost for one of those oxy bottles new? How much to refill? Just curious.

I don't think you can get them refilled. YOu just get them at the hardware store - I paid $7 for the one I have and they're supposed to last quite a while.

I was borrowing my father's little MAPP gas + oxygen brazing torch with just the O2 bottle hooked up for my first few attempts. My brother in law just handed me a 15 cubic foot steel O2 tank with medical regulator that was taken out of commission where he works. It's got about 1800lbs left and will probably last me my entire brewing career before it needs refilling. Ok, enough gloating. If you can find a used setup on Ebay, that would be nice too. If you find one with local pickup, you might even get one with O2 left in the tank.

What I can't figure out is where the manufacture date is on this tank because I know it needs to be hydro'd every 5 years and can't tell if it's out of date.

Bobby_M said:
I was borrowing my father's little MAPP gas + oxygen brazing torch with just the O2 bottle hooked up for my first few attempts. My brother in law just handed me a 15 cubic foot steel O2 tank with medical regulator that was taken out of commission where he works. It's got about 1800lbs left and will probably last me my entire brewing career before it needs refilling. Ok, enough gloating. If you can find a used setup on Ebay, that would be nice too. If you find one with local pickup, you might even get one with O2 left in the tank.

What I can't figure out is where the manufacture date is on this tank because I know it needs to be hydro'd every 5 years and can't tell if it's out of date.

Obviously a tank needs hydro testing as per regulations and manufactures recommendations but if it's not being knocked about or refilled then they normally only get tested or date checked at refill time.

Back