All Grain Brewing - First batch today, good gravity but too much volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postban

Reaction score
First batch is in the kettle, Amarillo Pale Ale

Using a 10gal Igloo MLT, flysparging from a 10gal HLT, 15.5gal Keggle, 220,000btu burner (son of a b!tch is impressive), Got a March 125 pump for liquor transfer from keggle (or into carboys), Wort chiller, big ass stainless steel canoe paddle, 20lb grain bill and 10oz hop schedule and a 70 minute boil.

Beersmith says 75% efficiency ought to get me 1.055 OG.

Dough in was at 1000, I hit my mash in and mash out temps on the button, vorlaufed 4 quarts, last two were the same clarity, fly sparged real slow for 40 minutes, preboil OG was two points high (was nervous about that.) Was supposed to be 1.046 corrected but it was 1.048. Boiling down to 1.055 then into primary.

10 oz or Amarillo gold and 20lbs of various grain, recipe customized by Chris of AIH for me.

Grain and malt mill

Hot Liquor Tank
Mash Lauter Tun
Brew Kettle
burner
Extra water for heating up if needed.

What is in my Hot Liquor Tank???

Pic at mashout water addition

Vorlaufing

Fly Sparging

Pic right before the hot break.

=======================================

After action report, it is in primary, big ol' cake of SA-05 on top about to krauzen up a storm. Using a blow-off tube setup this time.

Funny thing about this batch, been brewing extract kits, coming up pretty much on the numbers. This one came in 1.053 where beersmith said target OG was 1.054, so off by one point but here is the weird part, volume out was 11.5 gal. both my primaries are at 5.75 gal, maybe a bit more.

I went by the volumes on the insides of my Igloos after getting close on water in using gallon jugs, and a quart measuring cup. Might have been off a little but 1.5 gallons?!?!?!?

Obviously got good conversion but I would like to find my efficiency number but can't figure it out going backwards in beersmith to find it.
Everything worked well, just would like to know that number if possible.

Registered and accepted on beersmith site but I still can't post this there.

First batch is in the kettle, Amarillo Pale Ale

Using a 10gal Igloo MLT, flysparging from a 10gal HLT, 15.5gal Keggle, 220,000btu burner (son of a b!tch is impressive), Got a March 125 pump for liquor transfer from keggle (or into carboys), Wort chiller, big ass stainless steel canoe paddle, 20lb grain bill and 10oz hop schedule and a 70 minute boil.

Beersmith says 75% efficiency ought to get me 1.055 OG.

Dough in was at 1000, I hit my mash in and mash out temps on the button, vorlaufed 4 quarts, last two were the same clarity, fly sparged real slow for 40 minutes, preboil OG was two points high (was nervous about that.) Was supposed to be 1.046 corrected but it was 1.048. Boiling down to 1.055 then into primary.

10 oz or Amarillo gold and 20lbs of various grain, recipe customized by Chris of AIH for me.

Grain and malt mill

Hot Liquor Tank
Mash Lauter Tun
Brew Kettle
burner
Extra water for heating up if needed.

After action report, it is in primary, big ol' cake of SA-05 on top about to krauzen up a storm. Using a blow-off tube setup this time.

Funny thing about this batch, been brewing extract kits, coming up pretty much on the numbers. This one came in 1.053 where beersmith said target OG was 1.054, so off by one point but here is the weird part, volume out was 11.5 gal. both my primaries are at 5.75 gal, maybe a bit more.

I went by the volumes on the insides of my Igloos after getting close on water in using gallon jugs, and a quart measuring cup. Might have been off a little but 1.5 gallons?!?!?!?

Obviously got good conversion but I would like to find my efficiency number but can't figure it out going backwards in beersmith to find it.
Everything worked well, just would like to know that number if possible.

Registered and accepted on beersmith site but I still can't post this there.
change your batch size in beersmith to what ever it was post boil than change brewhouse eff till your og is what beersmith says it should
it will give you your actual efficiency

change your batch size in beersmith to what ever it was post boil than change brewhouse eff till your og is what beersmith says it should
it will give you your actual efficiency

85% says the little side detail window menu.

ag1.jpg

sounds about right a smaller boil off might have contributed to the larger volume as well make sure you change that back to normal before you do your next recipe......talking from exp on that one

5.75g x2
krausen action is a little less than the extract kits I have done, trub however is huge

dos primaries with blowoff tubes

Using a growler from Sports Brew Pub

[youtube]-u1bodgb_S4[/youtube]

Cranberry Apfelwein running at 95 bubbles a minute. Montrachet wine yeast and apple juice are making little jumping bubbles, clearing the top of the must by 1 inch or so, have not seen that before, pretty neat, carboy is hissing from the action inside.

[youtube]xYjFj8RXIRk[/youtube]

Back