Stone Ruination Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So last year in Brew Your Own magazine Stone had a great article about the brewery and recipes. Has anyone ever brewed the Stone Ruination clone that they give in the magazine? I am looking to brew this beer as it is my favorite of all Stone brews.

If you have brewed it how did it come out?

Thanks

It's pretty good. I didn't mean to make the BYO recipe, really. I saw the issue a while back, then didn't think about it again until I wanted to make the Ruination clone. It's very close to the BYO recipe, and it came out pretty well.

I made it twice, once with WLP007 and the next time with S-04 yeast. It was great although not exactly like Ruination, but that could just be in my process at the time.

Brew a stone IPA. Then buy fresh hop cones and dump em in your pint of stone IPA and... voila, Ruination IPA :ban: . Just kidding... It would be nice to have a good clone for that beer. Some times I need to teach my taste buds a lesson and that's when I reach for ruination.

Well I just looked up the recipe in BYO magazine and the partial mash recipe calls for 22oz of Centennial for dry hopping. Wow that is expensive. Austin homebrew sells a Ruination clone for only like $50. I am wondering if I should go that way first?

I brewed it and I think it is pretty darn close to the original. I haven't done a side by side... but my memory thinks it tastes the same.

It's 2.0 oz of whole centenninal dry hop by the way... not 22

What I've found is the BYO recipes are a good place to start. I've found that you have to adjust for your system. My clone of this turned out darker the first time. On my new build I have made a hopback out of my old 10 gallon pot and installed a whirlpool fitting on the boil kettle. Since they hold there hop additions to the end and whirlpool, maybe this will help get closer to recipies like this. I don't think with only adding boil additions and dry hopping it can be dupliceted. I tried it twice and it really wasn't close to their beer. I liked it, just wasn't like Ruinition. :( Just my opinion

I brewed this a while ago. I would agree that without whirlpooling, you are not going to get an exact clone. Also, I would use an american ale yeast. To me, the english ale yeast that BYO recommends, just doesn't work (same with the stone pale clone).

Those Stone BYO recipes all have a ton of typos. So much so that I have no urge to attempt them at all... Huge disappointment.

Well I looked the partial mash recipe up online and it is not much different from the BYO recipe. I am going to brew it and see how it comes out. I have never brewed a recipe from BYO for whatever reason. So if this comes out bad I wont use one of theirs again. As long as it comes close to the Stone Ruination I will be fine with that.

Question...do you guys think I should dry hop this beer in the secondary or primary?

I dry hopped in the primary. I let her run 14 days then dry hopped and left it in another week.

wow $16-21 a six pack?! guess we have it pretty good in SD, I've bought a six pack at the grocery store for less than $10, or I can drive up and get a growler filled for $9, $8 with the AHA discount...

So when dry hopping this beer should I dry hop in the primary or the secondary?

In the secondary. It's a pretty big beer, so let it finish up. Some extra time, either in the primary or the secondary before dryhopping would be great. Then, dry hop about 10 days before kegging/bottling.

There's a certain honey-like sweetness in Stone IPA and Ruination that I've been unable to replicate at home. Some other beers have it too, like Lagunitas IPA. Im not sure if they mash high, use more crystal or dextrine, or another ingredient or what. I can smell and taste that quality very clearly, just can't duplicate it. I wouldn't say my attempts are less sweet, or have less body, but they are a little different.

In the secondary. It's a pretty big beer, so let it finish up. Some extra time, either in the primary or the secondary before dryhopping would be great. Then, dry hop about 10 days before kegging/bottling.

Yooper, should I dry hop in the secondary while cold crashing???

I just kegged the BYO clone of Stone's Ruination IPA tonight. Sampler taste damn good. In a few weeks I'll have to do a side by side comparo.

Just checking in on the results you guys had. I ordered the partial mash kit from Austin Homebrew and I am looking forward to hearing your experiences with the clone. I plan to dry hop it in the secondary.

Any feedback is much appreciated. :mug:

We just bottled our BYO Ruination clone from the GRABASS Brew-n-Que in early April. I'll give a report on the finished beer in a few weeks.

I'm planning on making the BYO extract recipe this weekend (fourth brew), and have a question about about the late hop additions.

The top of the recipe section says Stone adds their late hops in the whirlpool tank and steep at 200F for 75-90 mins. However, the recipes move the late addition to 15 minutes left in the boil.
Would I be better off adding these hops at flame out? If so, what temperature should I steep them at, and for how long? Also, are AAUs a concern for flame out additions (my centennial pellets are about 9% AA where the recipe says 10.5%AA)?

Also, Yooper mentioned using a secondary for this brew. What time frame should I be considering? Something like two weeks primary, two weeks secondary with the last week being a dry hop?

I'm using Wyeast 1968, if that matters for anything.

Would I be better off adding these hops at flame out? If so, what temperature should I steep them at, and for how long? Also, are AAUs a concern for flame out additions (my centennial pellets are about 9% AA where the recipe says 10.5%AA)?

Also, Yooper mentioned using a secondary for this brew. What time frame should I be considering? Something like two weeks primary, two weeks secondary with the last week being a dry hop?

I'm using Wyeast 1968, if that matters for anything.

You can add them at flame out if you prefer. AAUs are not a concern for late additions.

I ended up not using a secondary last time, and just left it in the primary for about 15 days and then dryhopped for 7 days. That worked out really well, so I'd say to do whatever you prefer.

Back