Late malt additions and hot break?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBeer

Reaction score
Just brewed the extract version of NB's Stellar Tois, and followed Bader's instructions for doing the boil with just 1c of DME and the regular hops additions, adding the remainder of the DME and LME at flameout and letting it steep for 10 min. Got to wondering what this does with hot break, and how important it might be for the final quality of the beer. I did notice that I could boil a full 3 gals on the stovetop and not have any boilovers. Any ideas?

I don't get much hotbreak with extract. I assume that it's because the extract has already been processed at the factory. You'll be fine without a good hot break, I believe.

Duh - I should have realized that. It's been so long since I've done an extract batch.....I actually grabbed a second big pot to start sparge water heating last night:eek:

Just brewed the extract version of NB's Stellar Tois, and followed Bader's instructions for doing the boil with just 1c of DME and the regular hops additions, adding the remainder of the DME and LME at flameout and letting it steep for 10 min. Got to wondering what this does with hot break, and how important it might be for the final quality of the beer. I did notice that I could boil a full 3 gals on the stovetop and not have any boilovers. Any ideas?

Wonder of wonders...

Somebody actually mentioning Bader's name, and using only 1c, too!

:)
Dick G

I haven't done a lot of batches, but I've done one all extract and one with steeping grains and it seems when I steep grains I get more hot break than when I do just a complete extract brew.

Seems to make sense and correlate with what everyone is saying about the extract having gone under the hot break at the factory.

Sweet, learned something new!

Thanks!

Back