Temperature for secondary period??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3WWN

Reaction score
Hi!

I've got my two batches (that are ready) transferred over to clean carboys for the secondary fermentation.

I know with the primary fermentation, the temperature range is determined by the yeast.. which I maintained between 65-70deg for the yeasts I used.

What temperature should I store the batches in during the secondary/clearing stage? Can I keep them at the same temperature during the secondary as I did the primary?

I read somewhere that there is another process that starts naturally "in the spring" when the temp reaches 15degC which helps to mellow the flavor. Does this mean I need to keep the temp below 15degC (around 60degF) for a few months before increasing the temp?

Thanks!

-Rich

You will be OK keeping the secondaries at the same temp as you had for the primary. However, I think the beer is even better if you can keep the secondaries cooler. I put my secondaries in the refrigerator after I'm sure they are done fermenting and I get very clear beers. The only problem with this is that the yeast drop out. I keg my beers and force carbonate so I don't need to have yeast in suspension for conditioning.

Thanks, RichBrewer!

I'm going to keep the 2ndaries with the primaries... which works out well for the space I have available for brewing!

Thanks! :mug:

-Rich

Back