Fermenting a Saison: The Brasserie Dupont Way

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EinGutesBier

Reaction score
Here's what Wikipedia says on Brasserie Dupont's method of brewing their saison:

Primary fermentation lasts about 5 days, followed by a 1-2 week secondary fermentation. After this, the beer is packaged and warm-aged at the brewery for 6-8 weeks at 73°F(23°C). All of Dupont's beers are naturally carbonated via bottle conditioning.

By filling in the blanks primary fermentation should be in the 80s or even low 90s for fermentation temperature. However, I've read differing opinions on how to ferment the saison, most opposing opinions saying that you should either do a long, cool fermentation (months long) or do a moderately warm fermentation for a shorter period of time (little over a month). For authenticity's sake, I'm considering doing this the way Dupont does it. Does anyone know which method is closer to the real deal, or more importantly, which method will have a greater chance of yielding better results? The debate rages on. Better have a homebrew...

Beerrific said:
Right. I did check that one. My question isn't about temperature so much as about length of time. It seems like the Wikipedia article is different than what most homebrewers are saying...I'm trying to choose between the two. And it's not easy so far. : /
landhoney said:
They definitely ferment warm/hot. Farmhouse Ales by Jeff Sparrow discusses it.
Yeah, I definitely need to buy that book. Then I'll have the series. Already have BLAM and Wild Brews.

Back