transfering from fermentor to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reaper79

Reaction score
hey guys i just transfered the beer from the primary to a secondary and there was still some particles floating around in the beer. I figured this was just yeast but i wanted to make sure there was still supposed to be stuff in it.

yep, normal. you wanna avoid racking too much crud over, but its inevitable. that's why secondary gets 2 weeks on average...so that stuff can sediment out further, reducing the chance to rack any to your bottling bucket (or keg).

yep. the secondary is for clearing. that'll let most of that stuff floating around settle again prior to bottling. once you bottle, carb, and chill, you'll have a tiny layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle as well.

reaper79 said:
hey guys i just transfered the beer from the primary to a secondary

You do not need a secondary with Ales. Next time leave the primary 2 weeks and then keg or bottle. This gives the yeast a chance to clean up after itself.

malkore said:
yep, normal. you wanna avoid racking too much crud over, but its inevitable. that's why secondary gets 2 weeks on average...so that stuff can sediment out further, reducing the chance to rack any to your bottling bucket (or keg).

+2 You are doing good, secondary is the clearing vessel. Let it sit for at least 2 weeks, and you should see a bit of a difference.

Back