Peach Ale Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casesensative

Reaction score
I'm still new to making my own recipes so I wanted some feedback on this one.

I'm trying to make a light, dry, clean ale as a base with low bittering and a little fruity hop aroma to add some peach extract to at bottling time for a peach ale. Should be very sessionable, and aiming for a low ABV.

Let me know what you think of the recipe.

Batch Size: 3 Gals
Method: BIAB
Estimate OG: 1.043
Estimate FG: 1.010
IBU: 13.5
SRM: 3.0
Estimate ABV: 4.4%
Estimate Mash Eff: 87.8%

3 lbs 8 oz - US 2 Row
8 oz - White Wheat Malt
2.7 oz - CaraPils/Dextrine

.1 oz Magnum (14%AA) @ 50 mins for 9 IBUS
.2 oz Galaxy (14%AA) @ 5 mins for 4.5 IBUS and aroma

Yeast: 1 package Danstar Nottingham Dry Yeast

Mash at 150 for 75 mins.
Boil 60 minutes.
Primary Fermentation at 65F for 5 days. Raise to room temp (roughly 72F-75F) for the next 7-14 days, then bottle.

Add peach extract at bottling time to taste.

Any suggestions or does everything look good?

looks like it would be a nice summer flavor! You could also try fresh peaches after primary ferm is complete. Maybe throw some biscuit malt into the mix.:D Strangely peaches are one of the few fruits I've never brewed with, and I grow two varieties in my orchard (reliance, and starfire).

Thanks for the input. I tried the fresh fruit thing one time with blueberries and it hardly imparted any flavor at a big cost so i vowed to just use extracts from that point forward.

13.5 is a bit low on the IBU range for my taste. Even if you don't have that much residual sweetness, you may want a slightly higher IBU to balance the fruit aroma/flavor, which can tend to come across as or highlight the sweetness actually in the beer. Another option would be to add a little sourness to balance--e.g. include a few % acidulated malt in your grist. A little acid is a common tactic in sessionable, fruity beers, though it usually comes from the fruit themselves.

I don't think you should give up the idea of using real peaches, or fruit for that matter. I haven't used bluberries yet, but I used raspberry puree in a batch and it came out great.

I also heard that bluberries are a very hard fruit to get flavors out of because of how subtle they are.

I'm not against extract, and if used in the right way, or in conjunction with real fruit can be nice, but all extract just feels so artificial to me.

Back