My cat wants to be a brew kitty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillbrewin

Reaction score
So, I have a dog and a cat. I always refer to the dog as my brewdog. She however, just likes being outside while I brew. Her favorite pastime is chasing squirrels, followed by playing in the mud puddle made from the runoff from my IC. She is not really all that into brewing. She does however love licking spent grains.

My cat on the other hand seems to love brewing. I left a a pound of light dme on the table one day, and when I came home he had dragged it into the spare bedroom. He opened it with his claws and was in a sugar induced frenzy lol. His face was covered in it. I needed that dme for a starter and did not want to induce cat hair and whatever else he got on it into my starter. The next day I went and bought another pound of it, and set it down on my workbench in the basement thinking it was safe.

It was not safe at all the little bastard got the bag off the workbench. He dragged it across the basement. He carried it up the stairs. This cat only weighs 5 or 6 pounds. He dragged it across the kitchen, down the hall, and back to his spot. The bastard opened the package and went to town on the dme again. Now he tries to get into my grain too.

For the last two days he has been bringing brewing equipment up from the basement and dropping it at my feet on the couch. The stuff is all in ziploc bags, so I am not worried about sanitation. It is just stuff that I have washed and stored like airlocks and blowoff tubes etc. That little bastard is like lets get our brew on dad (grin).

So I think the brewdog is going to have to be relieved by the brewcat.

I have a cat that will chew into DME also. Use to have a work on the car cat. He would carry off the greasy nuts and bolts.

My cats hardly want anyone to pet them. But they eat mice and one of them licks the inside of my dogs ear, so I keep them around. You don't find an ear licking cat every day.

Sounds to me like he doesn't want to help brew, but instead wants to be the brew. Feed him some yeast and let that kitty ferment! :D

My cats hardly want anyone to pet them. But they eat mice and one of them licks the inside of my dogs ear, so I keep them around. You don't find an ear licking cat every day.

Bahahah. My cat on the other hand plays fetch, and brings it back (usually bottle caps) every time.

I cannot believe I clicked on this thread and there is no picture of said cat. This is the internet right? I want a picture!

Haha, fun story though.

Bahahah. My cat on the other hand plays fetch, and brings it back (usually bottle caps) every time.

had one of these once - liked crunched up paper, though, not bottle caps. One day, at dinner, I threw a crunched up paper towel across the room to keep kitty occupied. He chose to go OVER the table at full steam, on the hunt (full of dinner, dishes, milk, water, casserole....)

my bad.

current cat couldn't care less about anything -rescued from allergic family, they overfed the poor thing. 16lbs of fat girl.

That is the weirdest thing! Cats are incapable of tasting sweetness. They have no sweet sensing taste buds. So what on earth could be drawing him to the DME? Unless he's just being an ******* and taking it because he knows you need it. That would be so like a cat.

Our cat plays fetch with swmbo's hair ties. He also loves my beer room and thinks he owns my kegerator

Our cat is a mash-cat:
IMG_1417.JPG

Back