Witbier What the WIT - White IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning to transfer my White IPA to secondary today with the addition of more orange peel and 1oz of Zeus whole hops! 2 more weeks to go!

Update: Bottled this beer a little over 2 weeks ago and have drank a couple bottles since. I'm very happy with how it turned out. I'm planning to do another batch of it later this summer.

+1 for this beer!

Quick update a month later - I've almost drank my last few bottles from this batch. It was a very good beer. I'm planning to brew it again this weekend.

I brewed v2.0 of this White IPA last week. My OG turned out MUCH better this time around. I was within .002 of the recipe. I've got a few days left, then transferring to secondary. Looking forward to having this as a late-summer beer.

I've been wanting to make a White IPA for a while now, something similar to CT's Two Roads Brewing Honeyspot Road White IPA and this seems like it would hit it. I have a some of the ground dried Valencia orange peel from McCormick's that I used for my last blue moon clone. Does anyone have any idea on using this instead of zesting two whole oranges?

Thanks

I used 3 actual fresh, store bought oranges. On my brew day, I peeled 2 of the oranges and put the orange peels right into the boil. During the secondary, I added a 3rd orange peel. No zesting - just the actual peel. Turned out great.

Love the beer/recipe may have to be my next brew. Thoughts on using Citra and Cascade instead? I also love dry hopped IPAs like Cigar City's Jai Alai, any recommendations for adding some more to the dry hop without overpowering the nose?

Both times I brewed this IPA I used Cascade and was happy with it. Obviously there will be some citrus flavor from the orange peels, so I could understand the Citra substitution. However, one of the things I like about this White IPA is the citrus flavor from the orange is a different citrus flavor than you get from Citra hops. The Cascade and orange peel seem to compliment each other well.

Some of my less-hoppy IPA drinking friends prefer this beer more since it's not overwhelming in the hop flavor. The orange citrus flavor seems to balance the hop flavor as well. If I combined orange peel and Citra hops, it might be too much.

So what I'm saying is, I will continue to stick to the recipe. You are more than welcome to try it with Citra and see how it turns out. I'm sure it will be a good beer. :)

I have a pile of columbus so will sub the centennial with a 50/50 mix of that and cascade. Will split the batch, use a wit yeast and dryhop with a mix of columbus, cascade and citra. Probably in May or June.

I brewed this recipe again for the 3rd time over the weekend. I made a couple changes this time from the first two times:

1. Brewed this all-grain
2. Used 3oz of Centennial in addition to the 2oz of Amarillo.
3. Used 3 fresh oil peels throughout the boil
4. Used 6gallons of reverse-osmosis drinking water for the mash and sparge

I hit my OG spot on at 1.054, but only collected 4.5gals into my fermenter.

Everything went pretty well except for when I checked on my brew bucket 24hrs later to see if the airlock was bubbling, I found that the whole lid of the bucket wasn't seated anymore on the bucket. I don't know if I forgot to snap it down, or if the pressure popped the lid off over night.

I want to try this recipe with Mandarin Bavarina hops or Huell Melon. Will the alpha acids make this too hopy? What should i sub it out for?

Without the Wit yeast,its more IPA than White IPA.IMO the yeast adds a critical component,especially for competitions.

Back