Need primary secondary and bottle date advise for Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
Just just brewed an Irish stout via mini mash kit from Morebeer.com but it did not come with the fermentation steps/suggestions. With a lack of guidance from the maker, how does 14 day primary 14 day secondary and 14 day conditioning sound?

I brewed an Irish stout recently, and I just did a 21 day primary and went straight to the bottle. I don't do secondary. As far as bottle conditioning time goes, that's not really up to you. The yeast will carb up the bottles on their own time. Mine took 4 weeks to carb up good and mellow as far as flavor goes, and the longer it conditions the better it gets...

EDIT: Your plan for 14 day primary and 14 day secondary should be fine. Just make sure you have a stable FG before racking to the secondary.

Skip the secondary...waste of time and increased exposure to oxygen/possible infection. 3 weeks primary then bottle, as a general rule of thumb.

4 weeks primary, no secondary and at least 6 weeks in the bottle. every stout i have made takes a long while to carb and longer for the flavor to come together.

+1 on 3-4 weeks in the primary and then bottle.

Then quickly make some more, the temptation to open bottles early usually wins over the knowledge that stouts improve with age.

4 weeks primary, no secondary and at least 6 weeks in the bottle. every stout i have made takes a long while to carb and longer for the flavor to come together.

I have a stout I brewed on Jan. 1, 2012. It took a while but it is very good now, a friend of mine drank one and he said it was one of the best stouts he has tasted.

Wow. I love you guys. I'm def going to begin single ferm in my carboy... Guess that means I'll need another carboy if I'm giving that length of commitment.

Back