High-temperature wheat beer yeast suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angrybits

Mountain Medicine Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to do another wheat and I want to find the most appropriate yeast to use for it. I will be fermenting in the low 70's due to my living situation, and last time WLP300 at that temperature left me with a beer that was borderline terrible.

I love the clove flavors and body of good wheats, but I dont have the option of fermenting in the low 60's.

Any suggestions?

-- joel

I am doing a Killer Bee Wit with WLP400 for the 6th or 7th time no probs @ around 70 degrees. I do a lot of fruit wheats w/ Nottigham at the same temp no probs.

I don't have the patience to deal with keeping the temperatures super low via ice etc, myself. I brew banana-ey wheat beer in the summer, and I guess I'll just brew clove-ey wheat beer in the winter :)

You aren't able to fill a bucket with water, put the carboy in it, and add ice as needed?

Well when you put it that way... :)

I had considered that, but I was trying to keep this as low maintenance as possible to be frank. If that is my only option then so be it, but not knowing my options led me down the path to ask.

I do have limited freezer space though, so not sure ice is an option.

I'll see what I have for cooler options. I use ale pales for primary usually, so I can see what I can come up with for that. I do have a few better bottles laying around, just not sure I want to scrub krausen out of them.

So as it turns out, I have a small room on the bottom floor that stays in the low 60's on it's own. (Well, currently. May be different in the winter when the heat is running.)

I have a 1L starter of WLP380 brewing, it's going into the primary on Friday night. Really hoping to do this one right.

Use WY3711 and make a "saison." You can call it whatever you want, but it will be really good fermented in the 70's. You'll get peppery notes and nice esters reminiscent of apricot and others. Not as much clove, but I think the spicyness really makes up for that.

I have to say, this is one of my go-to yeasts now. It attenuates very well and gives incredible yeast character. I look forward to using it on all sorts of styles now.

WY3463 Forbidden Fruit.

A widely used strain in the production of Witbier and Grand Cru. This yeast will produce spicy phenolics which are balanced nicely by a complex ester profile. The subtle fruit character and dry tart finish will complement wheat malt, orange peel and spice additions typical of Wits.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 72-76%
Temperature Range: 63-76F, 17-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

Back