Looking for a good true to style extract saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglysofa

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good saison recipe for partial boil extract. True to style preferably.

Saison is the broadest style, so it's hard to say what "true to style" means to you. They can be dry hopped or not, sour fermented, or not, what sounds good to you?

Is there a particular commercial saison you like? That's where I'd start. After that, I'd look at the bjcp style guide to see what it says about the style.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style16.php#1c

Once you have a clear idea of what you want the beer to taste like, you can make some informed decisions about the recipe.

my old partial mash saison recipe is one of my favorites. only a little bit more time than straight extract but totally worth it.

5 lbs DME
1lbs belgian pale
.5lbs oats
1.5 lbs wheat malt

aim for 150F and 60m when you're doing your mash.

1oz styrian goldings @60m
1oz styrian goldings @30m

WLP565, ferment hot and you're good to go. use a little bit more priming sugar than usual, its typically a very effervescent style.

I hate that my LHBS doesn't carry wyeast. I've been itching to try 3711 since I first brewed with 565.

3711 is awesome. Very versatile yeast but it makes an awesome Saison. It likes cooler temps than most saison strains. I ferment it in the high 60s and get plenty of character from it.

my old partial mash saison recipe is one of my favorites. only a little bit more time than straight extract but totally worth it.

5 lbs DME
1lbs belgian pale
.5lbs oats
1.5 lbs wheat malt

aim for 150F and 60m when you're doing your mash.

1oz styrian goldings @60m
1oz styrian goldings @30m

WLP565, ferment hot and you're good to go. use a little bit more priming sugar than usual, its typically a very effervescent style.

I just brewed this and wow, it came out freaking awesome. A wonderful recipe for sure. We have a brewery in town that specializes in saisons (see Funkwerks) and all of my friends agree that this beer might even top their house saison.

bumping with a little review of nikkormat's saison....

Wow...lot of crazy flavors going on in this thing. starts off really citrus, almost an orangy flavor thats not overpowering. The citrusy orange flavor seems to blend with an a very faint bubblegum sweetness. very light body, finishes very clean and leaves a wonderful finish on your palate.

Definitely going to brew this again SOON. I had no problem with WLP565, despite what people have said. Was even able to hit a FG of 1.006 no problem. 5 days in 90+ heat with a blanket around the carboy really helped

Back