hydrometer value?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cclloyd

Reaction score
Today I made my third brew but it is the first time I have used my hydrometer. Does the reading you get from it provide any data other than potential ABV? What does the change in the readings from pre to post fermentation tell you?
Should I be researching this elsewhere.....?

OK nevermind - I just read the section on www.howtobrew.com on - duh - using a hydrometer.

History lesson on the importance of an hydrometer. It's your friend.

The hydrometer probably did more to form modern brewing methods and styles than any other piece of equipment. Previous to that Beer was generally brewed from one malt. Light, brown, dark etc. But with the hydrometer breweries found that the paler the malt the more efficient it was so the base malt was switched to a pale barley malt and characteristic gained from the use of "speciality" malts. Much the same as it still done today.

Good call on the reading BTW.:mug:

Simply put: a hydrometer is the only way to know your batch is done fermenting and it lets an AG brewer know how well their mashing system works.

Back