Weird stuff floating on top of fermented beer. What is this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcsweat

Reaction score
Hey guys, I would really appreciate some help in identifying this junk floating on top of my fermented beer.

First, some vital info. It's been in the fermenter at about 65F for 2 weeks. The yeast used was Safale US-05. I'm sure that primary fermentation is done, since OG was 1.060 and gravity as of yesterday was 1.008, which is slightly lower than expected for FG.

Picture:

OYZyX.jpg

Here is a link to the full sized image:
http://i.imgur.com/qWZnB.jpg

So anyway, it tastes pretty fine (just a bit green) and smells great. I could detect no "bad" flavors or sourness which might indicate an infection or other problem. What is this stuff, just krausen that hasn't settled to the bottom yet? Why would it do that? I've brewed about 8 batches, never seen a beer look like this after 2 weeks. Is this normal for US-05? I have never used it before.

I did detect some carbonation when I tasted it, could some bubbles be keeping these clumps suspended?

I haven't bottled it yet, I'm going to do that in another week. In the mean time, I would appreciate some insight into what this stuff might be, and if it's cause for alarm. It was pretty thick and relatively solid, I had to poke it apart with the hydrometer in order to make a hole to check the gravity.

Yep, it's fine. I've seen that with US-05 before, as well. It usually falls for me if I shake the carboy gently.

Yep, it's fine. I've seen that with US-05 before, as well. It usually falls for me if I shake the carboy gently.

I have a batch that I used US 0-5, it has the same thing.
I have had little yeast floaters before, but nothing like this, that wouldn't settle out. I wondered if it was typical of the 0-5.

Great, thanks for the reassurance guys. I'll just rack around the stuff. I figured it would be fine if it tastes fine, but I just wanted to make sure.

That is what’s called Cold Break. I normally filter it out after a few days, it’s the amino acids and proteins from the boil.

Back