temp question for bottled lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

from_aeolus

Reaction score
I have a pumpkin lager that has been sitting in bottles @55 degrees for 3 weeks now. Can I bring them to room temp for storage/transport, then chill them again as needed for drinking?

Thanks!

You're going to need to warm them up to above 70 to get them to carb up. Then you can do whatever you want with them. But they are more than likely not carbed yet

I have a newbie question... Why would you want to warm it up to carb it? If it's a lager it ferments at lower temps right? So wouldn't it make sense to store the bottles at fermentation temp so that the yeast will ferment the remaining sugar and create carbonation?

Lager yeast still "works" at higher temps, you just want it lower for primary fermentation. Bottle carbing doesn't produce any flavors/esters to worry about and the higher temps will get the yeast making CO2 quicker.

I'm still pretty new so someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Lager yeast still "works" at higher temps, you just want it lower for primary fermentation. Bottle carbing doesn't produce any flavors/esters to worry about and the higher temps will get the yeast making CO2 quicker.

I'm still pretty new so someone please correct me if I'm wrong :)

No need, you got it. Plus the yeast is pretty dormant at this point. Getting it warm gets it active and gets it carbed in 3 weeks. If not it could take weeks, if not months to carb up.

Back