Two kegs in and I'm sold using syrups for variety rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I'm officially a wimp, lol. The anise licorice root beer is kicking my butt. So, much like the concentrates before, I am down to 1 oz of syrup and 16 ozs of seltzer. At that mix it has a killer head, still has a great aroma/color and the taste isn't over powering to me. Guess that means anything I make will last much longer. :p

OK just finished whipping up another batch of syrup. Was going for sarsaparilla but since sassafras is hard to find (banned by FDA) I swapped out licorice and, since I only had it on hand, I used light instead of dark brown sugar. Not sure how much I like the changes. The licorice taste is there but not enough and the light brown sugar doesn't impart as heavy a molasses vibe as the dark brown does. It is a weird halfway that messes up the balance and hurts the sarsaparilla flavor. Anyway here is what I used...

5.0 cups water
5 oz chopped dried sarsaparilla root
1 oz chopped dried licorice root
.3 oz chopped dried wintergreen
2 lbs light brown sugar (half a Sams Club sized bag that claimed to be approx 9.5 cups)
2 tbs maltodextrin (I did 2 heaping which was closer to 3)

Everything but the sugar and malto on a simmer for 15 minutes uncovered, add malto/sugar slowly until disolved, simmer another 2-3 minutes, let cool then strain into a container for storage. To mix use 1 part syrup, 3 parts seltzer. Using it at my normal concentration (about 1 oz syrup to 12 (or so) oz soda water) it isn't very strong but as mentioned it seems to be more the flavors being unbalanced. Going to try a ratio closer to the suggested one and see how it goes.

Ive bought all the gear to properly carbonate soda, but after reading this forum, I'm interested in the "bayonet" from mcmaster discussed here. What specific item is this? Are people ordering them from mcmaster-carr?

If I could reduce the 35' of tubing down to something shorter, and that has less residual issues for tube reuse.

Ah, ok, so you are placing them in the dip tube as described. Interesting. What PSI are you running? Do you leave it at the full ~30PSI or do you crank down? My understanding is that you generally turn down the PSI to about 4PSI without this arrangement to prevent unpleasantness.

Man, this thread has been around since 2010 and I just finally found it (well, a month). I could've been enjoying this for that long. Thanks for posting. I'm only on my first quart of syrup and I'm thoroughly enjoying it!!

I'm really getting a kick out of making my own. I'm due to put another batch together this week. I way overshot what I needed when I ordered herbs, lol. I have big bags of stuff that calls for tiny amounts. :p

I carbed my water to 30 PSI (been set up for about 10 days now). Syrups were made tonight and we made a few drinks. It seems like it is "undercarbed". Of course, this is after it blows through faucet and foams a TON coming out. I'm not sure if I'm losing all the bubbles at dispensing time.

I elected not to add ADDITIONAL maltodextrin to the syrup, as I am using Splenda formulated as a cup replacement for sugar and I think it is mostly maltodextrin.

-Matt

mappler said:
I carbed my water to 30 PSI (been set up for about 10 days now). Syrups were made tonight and we made a few drinks. It seems like it is "undercarbed". Of course, this is after it blows through faucet and foams a TON coming out. I'm not sure if I'm losing all the bubbles at dispensing time.

I elected not to add ADDITIONAL maltodextrin to the syrup, as I am using Splenda formulated as a cup replacement for sugar and I think it is mostly maltodextrin.

-Matt

I've noticed the same thing. Tons of carbonation while filling but it doesnt seem to last long with the syrup.

You need to slow it down coming out of the tap. Either with longer hoses or inserting a couple bayonets (mentioned a couple times in this thread). The problem you are having is it is degassing most of the CO2 when you pour it.

TomSD said:
You need to slow it down coming out of the tap. Either with longer hoses or inserting a couple bayonets (mentioned a couple times in this thread). The problem you are having is it is degassing most of the CO2 when you pour it.

I'm using like 16ft of the 3/16 accuflex line right now. I thought that would be enough. I guess I'll have to try the plastic bayonetes.

What flavors do you guys like?
Sasp, and root beer seem popular.
Cola and Lemon Lime seem - ehhh...

Any other recommendations?

TomSD: You are right, I've got to slow it down. I've ordered some bayonets today. I tried a slightly longer beer line and it was better, so these will be perfect for all the reasons previously mentioned. Thank you.

Is anyone putting baking soda in the water before carbonating it? I read somewhere else that it is a common addition to raise the ph of the water, but saw nothing in this thread about it. I'm not sure why I want the ph higher...:)

I have tried the Sarsaparilla, Black Cherry, and Chocolate Malt. The kids picked the chocolate malt, which I was expecting not to like. It might be my favorite so far....:). Good on its own and mixed with the black cherry. I've got Piña Colada, vanilla, and root beer waiting to be made as well. I'll give you a report as soon as we try them.

Matt

Got my bayonets in the mail today. I'm assuming you just cut them out of the plastic holder and shove one down the dip tube? Thanks,
-Matt

Got my bayonets in the mail today. I'm assuming you just cut them out of the plastic holder and shove one down the dip tube? Thanks,
-Matt

Yeah I dropped two down the dip tube of my water keg and it made a huge difference.

Tom,
What sweetener are you using?
-Matt

I use mostly raw sugar though I have been using agave in my tea and think I might give it a shot one of these days.

What I like the most about using bayonets is my plumbing is all the same so I don't have a special "soda" tap. I do always use tap four for my soda keg but it isn't because I have to. If something came up like a get together and I wanted four kegs on tap all I would need to do is swap out the kegs and not have to worry about line lengths or any other changes besides lowering the PSI.

This thread rocks! Thanks for all the info and inspiration. I love sprecher root beer and it looks like their syrup is a strait 4 to 1 ratio. I'll be carbing up some water in the near future.

Question: I know soda can impart flavors to the seals in the kegs, but does beer do the same thing? In other words, should I change all my seals on a keg that I will use for carbonated water that has been used for beer up to this point?

I'm making fruit soda from scratch( pineapple, ginger) still no luck on getting it carb right.
After reading this thread, I want to try to carb the water first and later add the mixer( pineapple, ginger with sugar and lemon rinds & juice) 4 gal of water with 1 gal of mixer. I have 1 week from carb the water to adding the mixer and ready to be serve for the event. Can anyone tell me the time frame and steps of what I need to do What psi and temperature? Do I need to purge it and then shake to fasten the process. If I shake it how many days it would be ready to add the mixer. Any advise would be appreciated.

I always slow carb so I won't be much help with that. For me set the PSI to 30 and forget about it for a week or two works.

If you are premixing it I would make the syrup, add it to the keg, top off with water, shake the snot out of it then carb it however you decide to do it. I guess adding the syrup after carbing would work too but I'd think the other way around would be easier since mixing the syrup in is going to take a lot of the CO2 out of suspension.

What have you tried when you say "still no luck getting it to carb right"? Also, what are your line lengths? Are you using bayonets? What PSI are you setting? How does it pour? Is it carbed out of the tap then dies fast? Is there just no body? Not really enough info in what you've posted to try giving you suggestions.

EDIT: Ahh I skimmed over your other posts. Not much I can add it looks like you got some good advice.

Thank you, TomSD. As you mention you set it at 30 psi what is your temp. and did you shake it. would it be ready to drink in a week? I mixed water and the fruit mixer before poured in the keg. I follow the Crockett brewing chart with volume 5 for soda with 40psi@ 40-41f shake it. I'd shake it about 10 mi once a day, couple week later it's just foam and lightly fizz. I have 3/16 with30' line. I though I might over carb it. I read somewhere that I should purge it and reduce the psi, so i did at 30psi with 40f, It'd been 4weeks and still foam and little fizz. My second batch I did the follow the easy shake method from the same Crockett brewing but this time I 'd set at 30psi with 40f for 4+ volume I purge, then next day shake for 30mi. I still didn't get it carb enough as they said. I'd tasted every day with 30psi and 30" line and it still light fizz it'd been about a week with light fizz on my tongue with some light foam. I hope it would get better in time. Please tell me what I'm I missing here. Then I saw your thread with carb the water fist and wan to try it. If anyone ever try carb water first then add syrup into the keg would it be raedy in a week please let me know.

Well I carb water and add syrup per glass so not really the same deal. Are you using any maltodextrin or other additives for body?

As for being ready in a week I have no idea. I carb straight water at 40 psi and around 42f for about a week and it is about ready... two weeks is for sure. I never shake it, I set and forget.

No, I want it to be all natural ingredients. I think I will post the new thread for advices on carb water first and add syrup into the keg or I'll try to find the old thread in that topic.
I'm very new in soda any info would help.
Thank you for your time

Has anyone used beer bottles for soda? I was thinking of making a full batch of Sprecher Rootbeer and bottling it all right away as apposed to having it sit in the keg. mainly for the convenience of not going to the basement bar to get one, but also thinking limited time in the keg may keep the rings from picking up flavor.

I don't want to buy a bunch of PET bottles and was wondering if glass beer bottles would be ok. The only concern I guess is the higher pressure. But I remember a time when all soda came in glass bottles with pry off caps.

Thoughts?

I would think you would be fine doing that. You could even bottle condition instead of force carbing. Might want to Google around some to be sure though as I've never actually done it.

Has anyone used beer bottles for soda? I was thinking of making a full batch of Sprecher Rootbeer and bottling it all right away as apposed to having it sit in the keg. mainly for the convenience of not going to the basement bar to get one, but also thinking limited time in the keg may keep the rings from picking up flavor.

I don't want to buy a bunch of PET bottles and was wondering if glass beer bottles would be ok. The only concern I guess is the higher pressure. But I remember a time when all soda came in glass bottles with pry off caps.

Thoughts?

Yes, beer bottles work just fine. I have some Nittany Ale bottles that I'm using for that, as well as some Corona Extra bottles and some Guinness bottles, as well. I can attest to the fact that they work just fine.

The only time that they would explode is if you actually carbonated in them, in which case you'd be building up lots of pressure, sometimes without enough time to let it dissolve into solution.

When carbonating from a keg, you will get some pressure build up, but not any more than what's already in the keg. If you bottle from a BMBF, and you hold the stopper on until the flow stops, then you've equalized the pressure in the bottle with that of the keg. If it hasn't exploded at that point, then you should be fine.

Now if you heat them up from there, that's a different story.

I would think you would be fine doing that. You could even bottle condition instead of force carbing. Might want to Google around some to be sure though as I've never actually done it.

You can't bottle condition Sprecher because it's got preservatives. Other extracts you could bottle, but the thing you have to remember with soda is that because of the sugar content, fermentation will continue until all the sugar is gone, the only way you can stop it is with pasteurization, and as noted above, heating up pressurized bottles is not a good idea. That's the only time I've had a bottle accidentally explode.

Was grabbing something from Target and out of curiosity I grabbed a couple sodastream concentrates... the energy drink one and the root beer one. The main reasons for grabbing them were the price was decent, I have no desire to make an energy drink syrup by hand but do like to drink one on occasion and from a lazy stand point they seem like a perfect alternative for someone with carbed water on tap.

The math works out to about 2 tsp per 8 oz but if you've been following this thread you know I like my soda weak so I did 2 tsp per roughly 16 oz (seems to be the standard size for plastic serving cups you can get about anywhere) which came out about right. I might give 3 a shot just to see but it'll probably be too strong for me.

The root beer is pretty good and the energy drink tastes kinda like a Red Bull I think which was never my favorite of the energy drinks but I never really drank them for their flavor so it isn't a deal breaker. I can see me trying out some of the others as a lazy alternative to making syrups when I am not in the mood or want to try something different.

Oh and the mouth of the bottles is huge... big enough for my 2 tsp measuring spoon which saves me pouring and risking spillage or drips or whatever. I just open, dip the spoon in and go.

Back