Keg converted into a grill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fusa

Reaction score
I've seen some kegs that were converted to a grill and was considering doing this myself. I was lucky to get a couple of kegs for $10 each this weekend, so I have one extra. I now have 4 of the sanke diptubes, and was considering using those as the legs. The keg would be cut in 1/2 lengthwise with a handle and two hinges attached. I have no welding experience so would prefer just drilling holes and bolting the parts on.

Would this be a feasible project? Does anyone have any experience doing this? Or should I just use the keg for other purposes?

I realize this might be a little off topic, but since lots of people here have experience converting kegs I hope its the appropriate forum.

I see no reason why you couldn't do something like this.

bigbaby.gif

I've never cut one in half lengthwise, but have heard they don't hold their shape.

Good luck, keep us informed.

I have an even better idea.

I'll trade you a Hoff Stevens Keg (barrel Shaped) for that extra Sanke. It should make a better grill because of the shape and has a side-bung hole in that you ought to be able to fit a flywheel on to control the smoke.

I've been trying to find a Sanke to turn into a Keggle for a while now. And also trying to unload this Hoff Steven's keg.

During college I painted at an apartment complex during the summers. One of the residents had a grill that was converted into a keg. It was on his deck, so I couldn't get a close view, but from a distance it looked very nice. I've been considering this project for a while, and after getting the keg for cheap, its become more of a possibility.

I'm still trying to fund finishing my HLT, and get a burner, and stand. It might be a while before I get into doing the grill.

I am considering using a 2x4 and a couple of clamps to do the jig for cutting the keg lengthwise with my angle grinder. The top of the keg might cause some problems, especially close to the outer rim, and the center parts. I'm not sure if just a angle grinder would be enough.

JetSmooth said:
I'll trade you a Hoff Stevens Keg (barrel Shaped) for that extra Sanke.

You're about 300 miles from me, looong way to drive just for a keg. Have you tried a locally owned beer/wine store? Usually small business are more willing to help out customers, also you could try local breweries to see if they have any they no longer want. I also keep a wanted ad on craigslist, and have a rss feed subscribed for craigslist that is a search for "keg". That way I can know within 30 minutes of someone posting their ad. Even using that I missed out on a keg for $20 a couple of weeks ago, but glad i did after this weekend.

Duckfoot said:
(epic smoker build)
That looks great, but was thinking of something simpler. If I just cut a portion out for a lid, instead of 1/2 I would have some space between the cut out piece and the rest of the keg. I loose some of it from using the angle grinder, and smoothing out the rough parts left after the cut. I dont have access to a plasma cutter, so would prefer to use what I either have or can afford.

You're about 300 miles from me, looong way to drive just for a keg.

Bummer. I want to get rid of this thing. :p

Nice advice on the CL RSS search thing. I hit CL every day or so, but it seems there's nothing but Items Wanted posts in my area.

Found a guy with a 1/6 Sanke in Alexandria (I work in DC) that I'm considering buying just to have another odd keg to figure out something to do with. :D

Latest posts

Back