Hops in Hop Sock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAman

Reaction score
Need help, built a hop sock hanger for the brew kettle, I read a long time ago on some web that you need to increase the amount of hops when using this set up. How much more of the hops should be used? Brewing tomorrow with this new set up so would appreciate any help? thanks

You are decreasing the amount of hop utilization by restricting the flow of the boil in regards to the hops in the bag, but at the level we brew at, it might not make all that much difference. I just know it comes down to an issue of surface area and liquid volume and all that, but it would vary from kettle to kettle and so forth.

ah but if you squeeze the bag at the end maybe your getting more utilization with a hop bag.

I never changed my amounts, I do recommend squeezing the bag with aid of a mesh strainer. You also save a good half a beer from being absorbed by the hops if using whole leaf.

Back