refrigerated hops....too old? too late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andynaj

Reaction score
hey
i bought some ryzomes on ebay and never got around to planting them, they are in the back of my refrigerator. i just planted my fall garden and was wondering if its too late to put these in, i got them in about may so around 4 months ago
thanks
oh i live in tennessee and there are two growing seasons here, the fall just started and we will harvest aroung oct-nov

I suspect they have dried out and died. On the other hand, why not give them a try? Worst case, you replace them in the Spring.

I'm not sure where Smithville is, but if you're in the north, you might not want to throw them in the ground. If I were you, I would simply throw the rhizome in a pot and keep it inside for right now. Hopefully you'll see some root growth in a few weeks/months and it'll be able to be transplanted to the yard next spring. If you're up in the north, the freezing temps with no real root growth may simply kill the rhizome.

Good luck with them but they were cut last spring, probably in March. I second the trying inside b/c they'll prob go dormant in a couple months and I'm not sure if they can set up a root system in that time to survive the winter outside.

Latest posts

Back