Apricot ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BittererPlease

Reaction score
This is just two quick questions.
I am going to be using my normal ale recipe, whit hops that are in line with Magic Hat's #9, and I was thinking for this week's brew I would add some apricot to give it a twist. I do not want it to be a strong twist, so I am not going to use the amount in the #9 clone.
Will 20 ounces of a local apricot preserve or puree work? The ingredients in the preserve include apricot and a touch white grape concentrate.
And should I put it in when I switch tot he secondaryl?
Thanks for any replies.

Put the Apricot Puree in the Secondary and Rack onto the fruit slowly and carefully. Let it sit there for about 1-2 weeks. I would rack just as the primary fermentation is complete. You will or should notice a little activity in your fermentation lock as the sugars in the fruit will be consumed.

As for the amount, I used an entire 49 ounce Oregan Fruit Puree, and it did give it flavor, but it was a Hefe, so it already had a bit of fruit ester. I would try a little more, I don't think 49 ounces would give you an overbearing fruit taste.

I'm not sure which clone your using but jamil's show just done a whole show on cloning magic hat #9 so you may want to take a listen to that.

The Brewing Network.com - Shows and Podcasts: The Jamil Show

Other than that I dont' think i can answer cause i've never had magic hat living in eastern Canada and all.

Good Luck.

Definitely give the show a listen, They specifically go over the addition of apricot to the beer, and recommend using an extract over the puree. The puree will impart a lot of flavor and little aroma, where the extract will impart a little flavor and a lot of aroma. With Magic hat, you will get the fruity flavors from the esters produced with the English ale yeast.

Back