Difference between using 60L Crystal or half as much 120L Crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
Would there be a difference in color, but more importantly taste, between using 1 lb of Crystal 60L or 1/2 lb of Crystal 120L in any given recipe.

Logic tells me the color would be the same. Any additional color provided by the 120L would cancel out being only that half as much is used. A beer calculator I used seemed to confirm that idea. But would it work the same for the caramel flavor provided? The 120L is said to provide a caramel, but almost coffee like flavor, whereas the 60L is a mild caramel flavor. Would have as much 120L in a recipe also give a mild caramel flavor or a mild "almost coffee like" flavor?

Just wondering if I should buy 60L or if I could buy half as much 120L that would provide the same results.

Flavor is definitely going to be different between the two grains, and you'll also have a higher gravity using twice as much 60L so ABV and all that will be different as well.

If you have an idea of the flavor you want the crystal to contribute, and you have access to a LHBS, just go to the LHBS and take a couple of grains from each and pop them in your mouth to taste the difference. That's the best way IMO.

Each lovibond level of crystal malt has its own flavor characteristics, thats why they sell so many different ones. If it was all about color, they would sell only 120 and you would just adjust the amount you use for color. 60L stradles the line between the sweet and caramel flavors. 120L Is more toffee/raisony.

You'll see recipes that use C60L, C120L and Special B. Each adds different flavor notes.

Back