Holy crap, I can't believe it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I work at a really nice University in Chicago (Evanston, if you know which one I'm referring to...) as a kind of "engineer" (I was an editor before moving to Chicago) and now I work for the Film/Video school helping to design, maintain and help construct all of the editing suites, classrooms, auditoriums, etc.

Well, I got to talking to the higher ups the other day and we started discussing me teaching a workshop or two based on my experiences. I replied with "Well, I don't have my masters but I can talk to some students if you'd like." We then discussed when I should try to get my masters (in two years, apparently, was the conclusion) and, well, after all was said and done I was asked to submit a proposal for teaching a class on Adobe After Effects.

About two, three days later the CIO of the University stops by my tiny office and says "I read your proposal for that class, it was awesome." To which I replied "I though it was a bit crappy, but thank you" he then said, "No, really, it was actually thought out and explained well, which is more than I can say usually." So, whatever, a compliments a compliment.

Well, today he stopped in again and said, "we had a meeting and we think it would be great if you started teaching these specialized classes here."

I swear to God, I think I almost messed my pants... Me, the kid who squeaked by in College (It wasfilm school...) and drank 6 nights a week gets to start teaching (as an "adjunct" mind you, not a real Professor or anything) at a school like this?

Holy crap, I'm nervous, now what? I mean, these kids' educations are in my hands...
:mug:

Congrats, you prob deserve more credit than you realize. most people are slackers, it takes guts to put yourself out there fo new things.

Whats the class?

I was thinking of teaching After Effects, starting with the basics and then leading to its applications in adding motion graphics to commercial video (ads, informative videos, etc.)

Congrats, you prob deserve more credit than you realize. most people are slackers, it takes guts to put yourself out there fo new things.

Thanks, Janet. I'm beginning to see what you mean, to be honest. I've noticed that as long as you show up on time, act respectful to your superiors (I'm no kiss ass, though...) and do the job you are asked to do people are generally thankful and appreciative. Who knew?

A good friend of mines father is the head of a department out there...I forget what one.

Back