Would you make a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soulfegebrewing

Reaction score
I'm brewing a porter with the OG of 1.056. The yeast I'm using is a vial of white labs WLP013. Their website says that each vial has 70-140 billion cells. The Palmer book states that ales with an OG of 1.055-1.065 should have 110-170 billion cells in a five gallon batch. The Palmer book also says that "Lower pitching rates produce more aromatics and esters than higher pitching rates." So would you make a starter, or would you just pitch the vial?

soulfegebrewing said:
I'm brewing a porter with the OG of 1.056. The yeast I'm using is a vial of white labs WLP013. Their website says that each vial has 70-140 billion cells. The Palmer book states that ales with an OG of 1.055-1.065 should have 110-170 billion cells in a five gallon batch. The Palmer book also says that "Lower pitching rates produce more aromatics and esters than higher pitching rates." So would you make a starter, or would you just pitch the vial?

Yes. Go to Www.yeastcalc.com plug in the numbers and date and you'll see how large a starter you need:)

Technically with a 1.050 beer you won't have to haw a starter, but IMO you should make a starter. I make starters for any beer over 1.040, not because it won't ferment without one, but because I always make better beer with proper pitching rates.

I would definitely make a starter for the simple reason that it ensures a proper pitching rate. I don't know that there's many people on this forum that would advise you not to make one.

I make starters for any beer over 1.040, not because it won't ferment without one, but because I always make better beer with proper pitching rates.

+1. Underpitching will stress yeast and cause them to produce off flavors. The goal is to keep the yeast as happy as possible so they will do their job well. Here's another pitching calculator that I always use: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html.

Depending on the age, and what yeastcalc gives me for cell count (of yeast being used and batch needs) I'd make a starter. My normal MO is to make a starter for all beers anyway. With a stirplate, it's easy and normally they finish pretty fast (faster than without a stirplate). I then cold crash them so that I can decant and pitch JUST the yeast slurry.

I also use pure O2 to infuse my wort (and musts) before pitching yeast (and sometimes 12-18 hours later, for bigger items).

If the yeast is one month old or less just pitch without a starter, But then again I make three gallon batches. Doh!

You've probably already brewed this, but anyway...
whitelabs says this about this yeast: "Provides a complex, oakey ester character..."
If you want that oakey flavored ester in your porter you would be better off to pitch the pack without the starter, slightly underpitching will give more esters. If the pack is old, or you don't want the oakey flavors, make s starter.
Regards,

If you've brewed already, what was your decision? let us know how it turned out:mug:

Back