Short Ribs in my New Christmas Present

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife got me an enameled cast iron dutch oven for Christmas and about a week ago I gave it it's first run - Braised Short Ribs

Recipe
Preheat oven to 350F

ShortRibs1.JPG

4lbs shortribs (8 bones, about 2.5-3" long)
Rub Consisting of 2TBLS each garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and 1TBLS each crushed dried rosemary, salt, fresh ground black pepper.
Rub the ribs and let sit out until they hit room temp.
Brown the ribs in the dutch oven (d.o.) in 2 batches using olive oil on your biggest burner at med-high heat.
remove excess fat from the d.o. leaving behing +/- 2TBLS.
Then in the remaining hot oil under med heat add 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped carrots 2 chopped celery stalks. When onion gets soft and is starting to brown add 4 cloves minced garlic, and 2 peeled de-seeded and chopped tomatoes.

ShortRibs2.JPG

When onion is browned, deglaze with 1.5 cups dry red wine and let reduce by 1/3. Add 2 cups Beef stock and bring to a boil. turn off heat and nestle the browned shortribs into the braising liquid. Make sure the rib pieces are just covered. Place the oven on the d.o and place it in the oven for 3 hours.

ShortRibs3.JPG

Adjust sauce consistency, if too thin add a slurry of 1pt water and 1pt flour 1TBLS at a time until diesired thickenss. If too thick this with additional beef stock.

Served with Manchego Cheese mashed potatoes and my oatmeal stout.

ShortRibs4.jpg

Anyone else got any other good recipes I should try in this new bad boy....

My dad has a really simple artisan bread that he does in his, it is wonderful. I will have to see if I can find the ratios, but it's salt, water, flour and yeast. It is real similar to this without the dusting

No Knead, Dutch Oven Bread

1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting. You may use white, whole wheat or a combination of the two.
1 1/2 tsp salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran for dusting

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the flour and salt, stirring until blended. The dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest at least 8 hours, preferably 12 to 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.
The dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it. Sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
Using just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to the work surface or to your fingers, gently shape it into a ball. Generously coat a clean dish towel with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal. Put the seam side of the dough down on the towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another towel and let rise for about 1 to 2 hours. When it’s ready, the dough will have doubled in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
At least 20 minutes before the dough is ready, heat oven to 475 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in the oven as it heats. When the dough is ready, carefully remove the pot from the oven and lift off the lid. Slide your hand under the towel and turn the dough over into the pot, seam side up. The dough will lose its shape a bit in the process, but that’s OK. Give the pan a firm shake or two to help distribute the dough evenly, but don’t worry if it’s not perfect; it will straighten out as it bakes.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until the loaf is beautifully browned. Remove the bread from the Dutch oven and let it cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before slicing.
(stolen from http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real...-No-Knead-Dutch-Oven-Crusty-Bread.aspx?page=2)

There are lots of other bread recipes online for dutch ovens.

Back