Dunkelweizen fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrakich87

Reaction score
My AHS Dunkelweizen (OG 1.052) has been in primary for 1 day happily plugging along at 68-70F and I was wondering how easy it is to go overboard on high temps? I used WB-06, and have read a lot of places that it tends to be more clove than banana flavored. Problem is, I'm aiming for banana flavors but just used the wb06 as it's the only dry option. How high can I raise the fermentation temps to increase banana esters without leading to negative off-flavor for WB-06?

You may have 2 options. Maybe your LHBS has heating bands that you can affix to your carboy/bucket to slowly heat. If you are in plastic, I would recommend caution; I don't know how much heat they kick out because I haven't used the for homebrewing applications (others though). Or, the more labor intensive method would be to put your carboy in a container of some sort and fill it with warm water.

Seeing as you are in CA, it has to be somewhat warm there? Maybe put it outside?

It's fairly warm here, I use the ice water tub and wet t-shirt method to keep fermentation down at 68 or so. I can effectively raise the temp slowly by just removing it from the bath and letting the yeasties heat up... My question is what temperature is it safe to allow the wort to raise up to? I've heard 22-24 C for banana flavors but since WB-06 is supposed to be more clove-y I was wondering if I can go higher for more banana? Or will this cause fusel alcohols or other off-flavors?

Latest posts

Back