Priming Sugar- Hopefully it got evenly mixed in bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
I finally got around to bottling my pumpkin ale last night (feels like I'm a month behind the curve on this one). I actually ended up only 6 bottles short of 48. Anyway's.....my last bottle was underfilled...& after underfilling a bottle in the past and having it blow up on me.....I decided to drink it w/o carbonation. This bottle was like drinking cough syrup.....it was so sweet....and tasted nothing like my any of my hydrometer samples. I did the standard priming sugar routine.....boiled sugar water....cooled, then into the bucket....and siphon beer on top. I think I put the siphon hose at the very bottom of the bucket. I have 1 of the clips....so I think in the past....I've left the hose in the middle of the bottling bucket...and have it fall down along the side of the bucket. Could the different location of the siphon hose (in the bottling bucket) have caused the sugar to not mix properly w/ the beer?

...I even gave the f'er a small stir with the hose itself.

It could be sugar that settled out for sure. I sometimes over-stir in my bottling bucket to make sure none of the priming settles out of the solution. I've found just letting the flow from the fermenter mix up the final product doesn't do a good enough job.

all I do is rack on top of the primer and gently stir with the racking cane 1 or 2 times and I never have inconsistant carbonation.

Put the hose on the bottom of the bucket curving. When you start to siphon the wort you will get a whirlpool effect. Then pour the the sugar liquid into the bucket and it mixes just great.

Back