Fermentation problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
So I just checked my Belgian bock ( partial grain/extract kit from true brew), and it still hasn't reached its final gravity. It's been sitting in the bucket for two weeks, bubbling has long since stopped, and I'm reading about 1.022-1.024. O.g. Was 1.050. Ambient temp of house is 73 degrees. It was just a packet of dry yeast that came with the kit. Used it a hand full of times before, no problem.

I usually don't wait this long to bottle, all my other similar kits were ready in about a week. I guess I'm just a little shocked that it hasn't reached it fg yet. Any hints? Should I stir it up or try to reactivate? I'll take another reading tomorrow...

It probably has reached it's FG. It's unlikely you will see any significant drop after 2 weeks. There are many reasons you may have missed your predicted FG and there are tons of good threads on troubleshooting that problem. The good news is that you may still end up with a good beer. I'd say bottle and then RDWHAHB.

Don't the bock kits use lager yeast? The bocks I've had are. In that case,the temp would've been too high. But if it used an ale yeast,it'd only be a few degrees to high by comparison. I prefer to gently swirl the fermenter to stir up some yeast,& keep it warm to get'em going again. An FG that high could make bottle bombs when primed & bottled. Be carefull with that.

It came with ale yeast. I measured it again and gravity was the same.

I bottled it yesterday, using mostly gorlsch bottles. Am I going to be blown up by my bottles? I'm a little nervous now. How much damage can they do? Should I open them up and release some pressure?

They can explode with quite a bit of force. Keep them a bit on the cool side while conditioning. That can help a little. But you may still have to crack some pressure off them.

Luckily most of them are in grolsch bottles, so letting out some pressure won't be hard. is that going to effect anything though?

One week mark? Im really nervous about this now. One is a 65oz growler from stone brewing company that is about the size of a gallon of milk. That one would probably blow my head off!

I doubt you need to worry about bottle bombs. The remaining sugar in your beer after fermentation is mostly long chain sugar which is not fermentable. As such, it won't ferment in the bottle either.

One week mark? Im really nervous about this now. One is a 65oz growler from stone brewing company that is about the size of a gallon of milk. That one would probably blow my head off!

That's not good. Growlers like that aren't meant to hold pressure created by bottling conditioning- they are only designed to hold beer temporarily. I've seen them break/shatter/blow up from the pressure of carbonation (not me, thank goodnes, but friends).

Don't use growlers for bottle conditioning any more- only beer bottles.

In the meantime, put it somewhere very save like in a rubbermaid bin just in case.

Back