Sierra Nevada Torpedo vs. Stone Arrogant Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Does anyone besides me think Sierra Nevada's Torpedo has a similar taste to Stone's Arrogant Bastard?

While I have yet to compare them side-by-side, they seem close.

They're both hoppy, but stone uses chinook, and sn uses crystal, magnum, and citra for aroma/dh. Also, stone uses WLP002 and sn uses the Chico strain. Both are great beers though!

Don't taste that similar to me. Arrogant Bastard is an american strong ale, while Torpedo is an extra Pale Ale. Not even the same category of beer. I'd say try them back to back or give it some time and you'll definitely be able to tell the differences between the two styles.

I love both beers, but I don't see much similarity other than the fact that they're both high IBU. On a side note, in 9 days I'll be drinking AB on draft at Stone!

If you think they taste similar, comapre Stone AB with Torpedo IN THE CAN. It is a completely different beer. It's about 100 times better, in my opinion. I never really liked Torpedo -- it was OK -- but out of the can it's a fantastic beer.

Not really. And the SN is a better beer, period. Then again, I think all Stone beers are over-hyped and overrated, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I picked up Torpedo two days ago and I really didn't like it. It was bitter but I just didn't enjoy the taste of it. At first I was worried that I was starting to not like IPAs but then i went to a bar and had a stone IPA and firestone IPA. Still love IPAs just not Torpedo.

I love arrogant bastard, and not a huge fan of Torpedo - I know it's well made beer, but I found it underwhelming and kind of subdued, whereas arrogant bastard is much more in-your-face, for lack of a better term. But I don't find them similar at all. I don't know why this is getting into which one is "better," considering that it's all personal preference.

Back