me likie Marris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did my first AG with Maris Otter instead of pale two row, and as far as I can tell so far I think this is going to be a good batch.

this is my Anchor steam ish beer I've brewed many times, I think the maris is going to do it well.

8.5lb Maris Otter
1.5lb 40L
1lb Bisquet

1oz Kent 60min
.5ozCluster 20min
.5oz MT.Hood 20min
Irish moss 15min
.5oz Chinhook 5min

WL San Francisco lager pitched @ 70ºF

fermented at 58ºF

IBU 45
SRM 11
OG 1.052
FG ????

The Home brew mart here in SD. it is also the old Ballast point brewery, I think they do most of there brewing at there new Facility now.But they have a good selection of grains and they Mill all my grains fresh. I Like that.

Where In Nor-cal are you?

I always wonder how HBS's can stay in buisness with such a small market that consists of picky people, everything has to be fresh.

Why do you like MO? I am planning my first all grain and was considering using it. It is $0.40 more than brewers 2-row and $0.30 more than pale malt. I am try to justify the expenditure (although not much more).

MO has a particular taste to it that is immediately noticible, and to me yells "British pale ale". I don't know that I can pin down exactly what the flavor is, but it definitely tastes different from regular 2-row. Some beers might not benefit from it, but a British ale definitely would.

MO here costs the same as regular 2-row, so there's no real contest. I just use whichever kind seems appropriate to style.

I toured the LMB and asked which is better. I wound up TASTING the two grains, one then the other, and that is where you learn.

Sure the 2 row is the standard, but put both in your mouth and you'll prefer the MO.

Indescribable; you gotta see for yourself.

Beerrific said:
Why do you like MO? I am planning my first all grain and was considering using it. It is $0.40 more than brewers 2-row and $0.30 more than pale malt. I am try to justify the expenditure (although not much more).

I'v used two row for the base of all my AG up till now, and every time I change some thing, be it equipment or fermenter I test it out with one of two beers I have brewed the most of, my common or my Krolsh, so I know what I should be getting, and any change will be noticeable.

It was evident to me that this batch is going have a really good flavor when I tasted the un-fermented wort. But I think that the style of beer would really be the deciding factor on what to use,like what Buford said

I think I am going to have to try out other base grains because the difference in flavor between MO and Domestic 2row was so evident. Id like to get a better feel for what each base grain's flavor profile is like.

It's kilned a little higher, aside from being a different strain of barley. So it has a bit richer, maltier taste. There's a spectrum of maltiness going from the lightest pale malt (1-2°L), through British/Scottish malts (3-5°L), then to Viennas (3.5-7°L), through the lighter and darker Munichs (5.5-20°L) and then Aromatic and some of the other dark-kilned non-steeped malts (15-25°L).
No real secret, just more toasty, malty flavor when you kiln higher.

I find that pale 2-row finishes much cleaner and more dry.

MO leaves more sweet grainy flavor and a little more body.

MO is my favorite base malt for British style pale ales, IPA's, porters, stouts.

For American style pale ales and such, I think 2-row is better, because it lets unique American hops like Centennial and Cascade shine through.

Back