Rack on top the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I usually use dry yeast, and sprinkle it on top the wort after I rack it into the fermenter. When I use a bucket I sprinkle it all over the top of the wort, but when I use a carboy I kind of have to just dump it in the middle.

But it got me to thinking; why not just put the yeast in the fermenter first and rack on top of it? Does anyone do that?

It really doesn't matter. I put yeast in a cup of pre boiled and cooled water and a little malt when I start my boil. Then I put the yeast in the carboy and rack on top, mixes it in nicely.

Interesting thought. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I too usually add my dry yeast either to the top or sometime in the middle if I have some help.

it is just customary to pitch your dry yeast on top of your wort. if the yeast is directly pitchable, it doesn't matter where you put it, it will mix into the wort as long as it doesn't clump. if you rehydrate your yeast first, or are using a wyeast or some other liquid pitchable yeast, its simple diffusion once you pour it in so just put it in any time.

the only thing i would be concerned with is temperature. depending on what i am making the wort or must may sometimes be warmer than the yeast might like on transferring to the fermenter so if you pitch the yeast in the dry bucket/carboy, and the wort is too hot, you might hurt your yeasty friends.

Try rehydrating the yeast (which, IMO you are should to do anyway) then just use a funnel and pour it in.

Doesn't really matter how it gets in the bucket/carboy as long as it gets in there. By not rehydrating the yeast, studies show you are losing approx half the yeast cells. I don't rehydrate either to be quite frank .. but I've only used dry yeast on 1 gal batches so I'm already over pitching. Even better, buy a cheap stir plate .. it'll be the best money you've spent in brewing equipment.

Back