Keggle Conversion Dip Tube Pickups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
I recently finished my weldless keggle conversion using Bargain Fittings bulkheads and a side pickup tube.

The keggle holds water fine. When I drain it it drains well until the water level hits about the middle of the bulkhead and then stops. This leaves about 1 to 1.5 gallons of water in the bottom of the keg.

I figured the tube was to long so i cut a couple of inches off of it and now it is inbetween a side pickup and a center pickup tube. This didn't seem to improve my siphoning problem.

Can anyone give me any insight?

Yeah, you need to add a drain hose to the ballvalve that is lower than the output (Ballvalve) Once you do this it will create a siphon.

My reply is based on what you are using the keggle for as follows:

HLT - It really is not THAT important to drain the last drop out of it. I perfer this as, during normal use, it does not let me have my keggle dry + fired. (I actually wish I had a side pickup tube for my HLT because I do use it as a BK for smaller batches.

MLT - This is a siphon issue like others have mentioned. You are only going to get out what you can.

BK - This is perfered because of hop + break material. Once you drop in an IM or start running through a CFC, you will get cold break as well. IMO this is just extra crud that you will want to keep out of your fermentor. Also the dry fire thing as mentioned in the HLT above.

Back