Newbie here can someone help me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agsensi

Reaction score
I brewed my wart and after 3 days no fermentation foam ever arose, when I checked it after 4 days still nothing did gravity test and was same as original reading, so went and bought more yeast and btw made sure temp was perfect before adding yeast the first time. Sanitized everything to get ready to re boil and sanitize and opened the bucket to pour into pots and sure enough tons of foam. Is this abnormal? Any thing I should be worried about? And ideas why this could have happened. Only thing I can think is maybe lacking oxygen from before and when I opened it it it gave it some. But now another day past and my airlock is still bubbling like its supposed to. Just wanna make sure nothing is wrong. Sorry for the long message but just slightly concerned being this is my first batch ever
Appreciate any feedback

I would say you just had a long lag time. Could have been slightly older yeast if it was a kit. But in general a lag time up to 72 hours is within acceptable range I do believe.

Since it's fermenting merily away now, I'd say RDWHAHB and grats on your first batch :)

Hi, agsensi!

It is a little abnormal to go four days without fermentation, but I don't think there should be anything to worry about. It's easy to get nervous about your beer, but it's kinda hard to really mess up. Your oxygen starvation theory seems reasonable, and i'mimpressed that you took a gravity reading where many do not!

Man did the same thing on one of my first brews. What you can do is rehydrate the yeast in the bottom of the fermenter with some water. that away when you transfer the mixing of the wart will oxygenate as you transfer and with the yeast rehydrated it will take the oxygen and use it faster. If you want to go nuts get some extra dry light malt extract and make a starter with one quart of water mixed to about one percent, boil water and malt chill to 80 then add yeast. do this at the start of your brew and in 12 hours after you go into primary it will be going nuts. good brewing and keep asking questions

Also if you can look around for a oxygen tank at an auction or if you know someone with torches. The oxygen in a torch tank is the same purity as that in a medical oxygen tank. you don't even need a regulator I just crack the valve and put my siphon tube into it and stick it in the beer and pump oxygen straight in. but be careful to much can kill your yeast I only do about 15 sec.

And the foam already stopped does that mean its close to being ready to bottle? Gonna be a little while Ny ways got a few more beers to drink before I'll have enough bottles

Just did gravity test on it started about 1.042 now at 1.013 where is that about right

The fast part of your fermentation is over but your beer is still a week to 2 or even 3 weeks from being truly ready to bottle. I've bottled some too soon and it ended up over carbonated to the point that you could pour 1 inch of beer and the rest of the glass would be foam. Leaving it longer so all the sugars ferment out and then adding just the right amount of sugar to prime gives me what I want and the beer tastes better with the longer time in the fermenter.

I think probably the first time you pitched the yeast the wort was probably at too high a temperature and likely killed the yeast. Make sure the wort is at least 80 degrees or lower or you risk killing the yeast. you can buy thermometer stickers to put on your bucket but I just usually go by whether or not the bucket is cool to the touch.

Sounds like you got it back under control. Good luck, I am sure it will be fine. Don't get discouraged. You will learn something new with each batch you make.

Back