strawberry kiwi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hordebrew

Reaction score
I am new to this and have been making Mead's with bread yeast and would like to venture to a new way using better yeast. I want to make a strawberry kiwis mead but am lost on what type of yeast would be good. Also will the seeds from the fruit. Be an issue?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think the seeds would be a problem - just filter them away either before or after. Which ever you think is easier. I'd do it after the fermentation, though.

And yeast... now that's something one could debate for ages. But generally, any ale, wine of champagne yeast would do fine. So far I've always used dry ale yeast and it's worked fine for me.

Different yeasts have different taste and character, tolerance, flockulation and attenuation.

Maybe divide a large batch into smaller batches and use different yeasts as an experiment? For example, if you normally do a five gallon batch (ugh, I hate US Imperial but... when in Rome) you do five one gallon batches. Two ale yeasts, maybe one of them dry and the other liquid. One white wine yeast and one red wine and one champagne yeast. Or five ale yeasts or five wine yeast. Whatever you think is most interesting.

But if you want a straight recommendation from my personal experience, I'd say Safale S-04. I've used it for plain meads of both high and low alcohol and melomels. I tried a mead yeast, but I wasn't very impressed.

But then again, if you're gonna do that experiment a melomel might not be the best choice since the fruits could overpower the taste of both yeast and honey.

Edit: I forgot to with you good luck!

I'm kinda stuck on mini batches right now. It's somehow more fun than doing my usual 20-25 liter batches. Every 1,5-2 liter PET bottle of coke I buy I turn into fermentors and make mead in them.

My three 30 liter fermentors are just collecting dust. :p

Well never tried to figure on breaking them down into half gallon batches..
Might have to do that first... it would make for cheaper testing too... I don't have any large fermentors yet just been using milk jugs with balloons for airlocks lol

You could drill a hole in the milk jug cap and place an airlock on it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XozRQgOjkkU&feature=g-upl]Mini fermentor - YouTube[/ame] - Sort of like that.

use WAY less than 4 pounds of kiwis. I depitted mine. I used 4lbs of strawberries and 4lbs of kiwis. the kiwis way over powered the strawberries.

Ya I might try that but with a Hawiin punch jug since the caps r harder...

And I probably will pit them but try half pound of kiwis for Evey full pound of strawberries then also probably wouldn't hurt to juice some strawberries and maybe use that also with a half and half mix to water. You think that might work?

Back