hops on vine have no aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you squeeze them and then smell your fingers? That usually works but the neighbors might think something's wrong with you if they catch you doing it.

beerloaf

Are the cones still cool to the touch? Do they sound like rustling paper when squeezed? They may ripen in scent as they mature.

Unripened cones will have very little to no aroma. Give it time.

+1

First years might not be as strong as subsequent years ...and then again, they might. I thought my first years were great. But give them some time ...as long as they aren't dry and ready to pick, they'll keep developing and getting better.

if mine still have no aroma, is it safe to call them duds for this year? or is there still hope?

I wouldn't write them off. Wait until they feel like a ball of wadded up tissue paper or start to brown slightly. Pick em, let them dry on a screen for a week, vacuum seal them and put them in a freezer. Mine didn't have much aroma the first year either. Maybe take 4-5 cones, roll them around in your hands, open and smell.

I live in Philadelphia and I have two vines (Cascade & ?????) and neither of mine have much aroma coming from them yet this season and they don't seem to have that much lupulin in the glands. They are both in their second year. I guess I'm not the only person in PA with this problem - I was beginning to worry. I've picked some of the most mature - as in browning on the vine - and even after drying they had only faint aroma.

I've still got quite a bit out there and I've been getting impatient to harvest, but they just don't seem ready.

Guess I'll wait another week and see if much more ripening occurs.

Back