Late Addition of Sugar: When?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All

I made an IIPA on Wednesday morning that was ~1.073 and I withheld the 1,25lb of sugar to get the yeast to go to town on the malt. It worked... and its been going crazy since about 4 hrs after adding the yeast until right now (midnight Friday)

In the past, I have waited until the fermentation subsided greatly. However, this time I am leaving for 5 days tomorrow morning.

So my choices are to add the sugar right before I go... Or wait 5 days ... and by then the fermentation will likely have died to nothing.

Thoughts?

I'd add it before you go. I doubt you'd have any problems waiting 8-9 days to do it, but after three full days I'd guess most of the fermentation is finished. (Unless you substantially under-pitched.)

Thanks for the input... What do some others think? For what its worth, I made a 3L starter with a 3 week old pack of pacman yeast... And its still cranking like mad now (saturday 8am)

I am leaving within an hour so was hoping for a little more input if anyone is out there!

Back