Toasted Almond Nut Brown Ale???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpres1977

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a nice toasted almond nut brown ale. I'm thinking of going into secondary actually over some toasted sliced almonds which I'm thinking could either turn out quite nice or a be a total disaster....? Has anyone ever brewed something like this and if so what were your results or better yet does anyone have a nice recipie they would like to share???

From what I understand, nuts make a terrible beer extra because they are full of oils....Nut browns do not really have nuts in them, but rather a certain mix of malts that give the impression of "nut". you may already know this, though. In any case, I think your best bet would be some kind of Almond Extract added at bottling time....for toast you would do well with a bit of brown or amber malt.

Brown malt gives an excellent dry, roasted nut flavor. A little Victory or Biscuit malt goes well with it, too.

I wouldn't use any actual almonds. As the previous dude said, the oils will wreck the beer. At most, use an almond extract. Even this isn't necessary though if you use a little brown malt.

That's kind of what I was thinking in regards to the nut oils and why I was hesitant to give it a shot.....I'll go with the brown malt and nix the almonds and or extract. I thought it sounded good at the time though...thanks for the input.

Back