"Murky" boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyShamrock

Reaction score
This beer is already in the primary, so it's a moot point, but I want to see if anyone can tell me why this happened so I can fix it if it happens again.

I was brewing the all-grain version of my blonde ale for the first time, the grain bill looked like this:

7 lbs. Pils
1 lb. wheat
1 lb. CaraFoam
1/4 lb. acidulated malt

I mashed at 150* for roughly an hour, then began to lauter. I recirculated until there were no bits of hull or grain in the wort, but after recirculating another four times I could not get the wort to run clear. It was beyond hazy, "murky" was the word that my buddy used. I never did get it to clear, even after sparging and boiling. In the primary the beer has since cleared. Was it grain bits?

What caused this? If it matters, it was a standard orange Rubbermaid round cooler, with a system of pipes at the bottom, not a screen false bottom. Thanks for any help.

Probably the protiens that coagulated... that is pretty common in the boil. There is A LOT of junk in there that ends up settling out. Longer boils, cause more to coagulate, thus creating a clearer beer.
That was not grain bits, but protiens more than likely.

Good to know. It just really freaked me out because it came out of the mash/lauter/sparge process looking like hazy lemonade. Silly proteins.

Latest posts

Back