Mustard seed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpie44

Reaction score
First post here. :)

So this might be way out there but I was eating a piece of Munster cheese slathered in mustard a few minutes ago and had an odd thought. Has anyone ever tried using Mustard seed in a home brew recipe? I thought about it and I couldn’t think of a style off hand that would be best to try it with. I do like mustard quite a bit but I don’t know if I’m brave enough to attempt a beer flavored with it. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? :confused:

I would avoid the seed itself, due to it being an oilseed. This may cause unwanted problems in the process. I guess you could go with dried mustard powder. I have never heard of a mustard beer, but i know chili beers are quite popular, so the mustard bite might be along those lines.

Speaking as someone who has seven types of mustard in stock, I can't think of a beer style I'd put mustard in.

Back