MD Fall Brewday -Nov 14th, Joppa MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was curious how Stefin's "bee beer" and mike's second rubbings beers turned out

Mine is still in carboy. Waiting for keg to open up to put it in. I have a feeling it will be the best beer I have ever had and I will never be able to recreate it.

stumbled into this, im in frederick. :drunk:

im totally down for a 11/14.

Since I'm new to this type of thing, what is involved in a brew day? Does everyone brew something different? I am highly interested and need some brewing buddies.

Saluté. :mug:

We all get drunk and somehow by the end of the day we all have full fermenters. I really don't know how it happens :D

I just drank my first pull off my marzen, fantastic stuff. One of my bests. I think it was Jamil's recipe with a double decoction.

stumbled into this, im in frederick. :drunk:

im totally down for a 11/14.

Since I'm new to this type of thing, what is involved in a brew day? Does everyone brew something different? I am highly interested and need some brewing buddies.

Saluté. :mug:

I'm also in Frederick, been to at least 3 or so of the brew days. We should commute together. Most people do all grain but extract is fine if its what you do. We all bring our own equipment(except hydrometers which are forbidden) and usually end up boiling 10 gallons and splitting it into 2 batches. Then we argue about if the 10 gallon batches with 2 sparge vessels or the large quantities of alcohol were the reason for the incredibly low efficiency at the last brew day. Also everyone brings homemade alcohol and we all enjoy it, perhaps more than we should but that's part of the fun.

I'm pretty sure at this coming up brewday everyone will be doing their own thing or partnering with 1 other to do a 10 gallon batch split in 2. If you have something you want to make offer it up as a suggestion, were very open to new ideas/beer/people.

i should have my marzen and/or pilsner done by then and definitly the ordinary bitter.

Plan on brewing IPA.

Hey if you wanna do a Stone IPA clone, I'll partner with you for that, I use Edwort's Stone IPA clone recipe or if you got a recipe you like I'm up for that too.

Hell, if you wanna brew that before brew day, I'm in Frederick so we can do that too.

I do all-grain stuff right now. I do 5 gallon "normal" gravity stuff or 3-4 gallon high gravity stuff right now. Need to get a bigger mash-tun.

I only have equipment enough to do a 5 gallon batch of all grain, but I could do a P/M for a 10 gallon recipe although I don't currently have a boil pot big enough for that purpose. Somebody have an extra one I can borrow?

I make my own recipes currently and am not into clone recipes at the moment.

Why no hydrometers? I really like to keep meticulous records.

I'm down for a local brew session. Need a little heads up though.

I do all-grain stuff right now. I do 5 gallon "normal" gravity stuff or 3-4 gallon high gravity stuff right now. Need to get a bigger mash-tun.

I only have equipment enough to do a 5 gallon batch of all grain, but I could do a P/M for a 10 gallon recipe although I don't currently have a boil pot big enough for that purpose. Somebody have an extra one I can borrow?

I make my own recipes currently and am not into clone recipes at the moment.

Why no hydrometers? I really like to keep meticulous records.

I'm down for a local brew session. Need a little heads up though.

You can bring a hydrometer but some will heckle you about it but only in jest no one will be upset.

I have the setup to do 10 gallons AG of a normal gravity beer. My limitation is usually my mash tun (10 gallon igloo cooler). At home I always take hydrometer readings so I can try to improve efficiency which is my problem, usually around 65%.

One important note: bring like $5-10 for the pit beef sandwich guy. He doesn't brew but somehow he is the coolest guy there.

One important note: bring like $5-10 for the pit beef sandwich guy. He doesn't brew but somehow he is the coolest guy there.

cuz he brings pit beef!

That pretty much sums it up.

Oh and make sure you bring thick skin. Doesn't matter if we just met you, we will still find something to give you **** about it. Its all in fun though.

Oh an make sure to bring some tomatoes for Clap. He loves them.

Crap crap crap.

I just found out that I may have to go to Portland on 11/14 for work. Think I can use MD Brew Day as an excuse not to go?

I'm leaning a little heavier towards Schwarzbier. Jen's been itching for something like Sam Adams Black Lager.

Whichever we end up doing I'll probably make the other style on my own soon after.

Hey man, if your still interested in the schwartz, BYO answered a clone request I sent in over 2 years ago for my favorite of all schwartzbiers in this months magazine. Here is the scaled up recipe:

Code:
Black Radish Clone

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-B  European Dark Lager, Schwarzbier

Min OG:  1.044   Max OG:  1.054
Min IBU:    25   Max IBU:    35
Min Clr:    20   Max Clr:    40  Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal):        12.00    Wort Size (Gal):   12.00
Total Grain (Lbs):       21.06
Anticipated OG:          1.049    Plato:             12.25
Anticipated SRM:          23.7
Anticipated IBU:          34.0
Brewhouse Efficiency:       75 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate:      15.00    Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size:   14.12    Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity:      1.042    SG          10.48  Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 74.1    15.60 lbs. Pilsener                      Germany        1.038      2
 19.8     4.16 lbs. Munich Malt                   Germany        1.037      8
  6.2     1.30 lbs. Chocolate Malt                Great Britain  1.034    475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2.40 oz.    Mt. Hood                          Whole    6.50  29.1  60 min.
  1.20 oz.    Mt. Hood                          Whole    6.50   4.9  20 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP830 German Lager

Notes
-----
Mash in with 7G at 172* to rest at 154*
Rest 60 Min
Sparge  to collect pre-boil amount

They have a fantastic article on how to build a portable pump too. I hear the author of the article is super dreamy.

No, never had the pleasure. I do not think I have ever had a lager there.

Everything I have had there has been way above average though.

Hey man, if your still interested in the schwartz, BYO answered a clone request I sent in over 2 years ago for my favorite of all schwartzbiers in this months magazine.

Munich, chocolate, Mt hood. Sounds like a winner to me. For what will probably be my first lager, I'm really not too picky about the recipe.

BTW: That avatar is gonna have so many sayin WTF!?

Back