Indy Bulk Base Malt Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
GF is having its great grain sale. Here are the bulk prices on sacks of various base malts:

Rahr 2-Row (50lbs) $36
Maris Otter (55lbs) $62
Pilsen (55lbs) $55
Munich (55lbs) $63
Wheat (50lbs) $36
Golden Promise (55lbs) $57

Here is the deal...

I can use a sack of Rahr 2 row. I am alaready splitting a sack of MO with Brian.

Id love to be able to split up a sack of Pilsen, Munich, GP and Wheat with a few fellow brewers at these prices! Id like to take 10-15 pounds of each.

Really, GF has decent sale prices on thier specialty grains as well. (5lb) sacks

for those prices, I'd be willing to jump in for something despite of the drive. I'm getting 2-row for 55 and MO, pilsner and such for 70 something now. :mad:

Out of curiosity, is GF a malster or lhbs?

I can only think of North and Mid country malt in the area.

I'd be willing to split any/all of those you listed plus get a sack of 2-row. Where is the pilsen from?

for those prices, I'd be willing to jump in for something despite of the drive. I'm getting 2-row for 55 and MO, pilsner and such for 70 something now. :mad:

I'd be willing to split any/all of those you listed plus get a sack of 2-row. Where is the pilsen from?

It is our LHBS, thier annual grain sale

The pilsen is Castle, you can get Weyerman for $62 for a 55 pound sack.

If there arent many resonses here, I may pick up sacks of each, and then sell quantities to area brewers who want it later.

Is the Wheat price for the Briess White? I'll split a bag of the Weyermann Wheat, that of course would double the cost. I've had better results in terms of flavor and mouthfeel with the Weyermann.

Also if anyone is interested in splitting another bag of Marris Otter, I'd be interested.

It is our LHBS, thier annual grain sale

The pilsen is Castle, you can get Weyerman for $62 for a 55 pound sack.

If there arent many resonses here, I may pick up sacks of each, and then sell quantities to area brewers who want it later.

Let me know what you do. I'm actually running pretty low, so I could use it soon.

I might be convinced to go in on a bag of Munich also, Rob, I'd like 10-15lbs. If we can get a third guy...

Is the Wheat price for the Briess White? I'll split a bag of the Weyermann Wheat, that of course would double the cost. I've had better results in terms of flavor and mouthfeel with the Weyermann.

Also if anyone is interested in splitting another bag of Marris Otter, I'd be interested.

Weyerman wheat is $62 for 55 pounds, I would not be against getting that.

I am down for buying sacks of:

Rahr 2-Row (50lbs) $36
Pilsen (55lbs) $55
Munich (55lbs) $63
Weyerman Wheat (55lbs) $62
Golden Promise (55lbs) $57

This seems REALLY unorganized, so does anyone want to at least split these sacks down the middle?

Munich and Wheat, I wouldnt mind splitting in thirds.

Well, I am looking at the post below, I may look at this place, even with a drive, some of those prices are HALF GF.

You may want to check out these guys in Chicago:
ShopOnline

Our club did a buy from there. Grain is by the Bag. No partial bags. But your order can be as small as one bag.

You may want to check out these guys in Chicago:
ShopOnline

Our club did a buy from there. Grain is by the Bag. No partial bags. But your order can be as small as one bag.

wow, that's awesome. I'm heading to Chicago Saturday anyways. But wait.... where in Chicago are they located? On their site it says their in New York.

Okay, so I am looking at Northcountry Malt.

Pale Ale Pearl Malt 55lbs for $39
Maris Otter 55lbs for $41
Pilsner 55lbs for $35
Wheat 55lbs for $40
Munich 55lbs for $36

That is incredible... 275lbs for $.70 per pound!

$190 for 275 pounds of malt. If I bought these, would anyone want to share them? Id be driving to pick them up...

Okay, so I am looking at Northcountry Malt.

Pale Ale Pearl Malt 55lbs for $39
Maris Otter 55lbs for $41
Pilsner 55lbs for $35
Wheat 55lbs for $40
Munich 55lbs for $36

That is incredible... 275lbs for $.70 per pound!

$190 for 275 pounds of malt. If I bought these, would anyone want to share them?

I'm looking into it right now. If I can find out where northcountry is in Chicago, I'll be up there anyways on Saturday... and be buying some grain.

ok, I found it - called midcountrymalt, it's on the southside - perfect.
Here's the latest catalog... http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pdf/2008_HomeBrewCatalog.pdf

let me figure out what I need here real quick.

Ok, so I was thinking 2 bags some 2-row and a bag of pilsen from best(B101)just for me.
After that I'd go in for half on MO, GP, Munich, GP or Vienne or even unmalted wheat.

Here's the latest catalog... http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/pdf/2008_HomeBrewCatalog.pdf

let me figure out what I need here real quick.

Ok, so I was thinking 2 bags some 2-row and a bag of pilsen from best(B101)just for me.
After that I'd go in for half on MO, GP, Munich, GP or Vienne or even unmalted wheat.

How far are you from Indy? Chicago is 3 hours for me to drive... what is it to you?

HEY, you are 2 hours from me... how much space do you have for sacks of malt?

I really want for ME:
(1) sack of 2 row
SPLIT Pilsen
SPLIT Munich
SPLIT Malted Wheat
SPLIT MO
SPLIT Vienne

Us Chicagoland Brewers have done a buy using midwestern malt as well. It works out to crazy good prices if you can pick them up. Last buy I bought a 55 lb sack of 2 row for $27. Hello $.50/lb malt! They are on the southern side in South Holland if you hadn't found that info already. You do need to call ahead a day or so in advance so they can get your order ready and you pay for it over the phone at ordering time. They are only open 8-5 M-F as well so take that into consideration. If you can deal with that I highly recommend them.

About 2 hours from indy and 2 from chicago.

Hey, if you wanted to split some of the malts that I want to split, Id be down for that. Anything you dont want to split with me, I can find takers back here in Indy I am sure for $.70 per pound!

Ya, Mid Country Malt. Ed just completed a group buy from Mid Country for the Austin area folks. Ed is the da' man when it comes to grain buys!

I purchased Canada Malting 2-row for $.046/lb, Canada Malting rye for $0.53/lb, and Best Malz pilsner for $0.60/lb. It's incredibly difficult to beat those prices. ;)

BTW, the catalog you linked too is old. The prices are little higher now I believe. Just email them and they'll send you the latest catalog, or I can probably pull it when I get to work tomorrow.

Us Chicagoland Brewers have done a buy using midwestern malt as well. It works out to crazy good prices if you can pick them up. Last buy I bought a 55 lb sack of 2 row for $27. Hello $.50/lb malt! They are on the southern side in South Holland if you hadn't found that info already. You do need to call ahead a day or so in advance so they can get your order ready and you pay for it over the phone at ordering time. They are only open 8-5 M-F as well so take that into consideration. If you can deal with that I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the info.

Rob - for Mid Country Malt prices I would split sacks of Munich and Marris Otter down the middle with ya.

If I had only known, I drove through chicago both saturday and sunday this past weekend.

Rob - for Mid Country Malt prices I would split sacks of Munich and Marris Otter down the middle with ya.

If I had only known, I drove through chicago both saturday and sunday this past weekend.

I already sold off the MO and Munich to the guy that is going to pick it up for me...

I have a half sack of Pilsner to sell... cmon Brian, you know you want to brew up a Pilsner!

I already sold off the MO and Munich to the guy that is going to pick it up for me...

I have a half sack of Pilsner to sell... cmon Brian, you know you want to brew up a Pilsner!

I'll split half the pilsner and half a bag of wheat with you.

I'll split half the pilsner and half a bag of wheat with you.

The wheat is already gone too... all I had left to split was the Pilsner.

If you want it Whiskey, the 27.5 pounds of Pilsner is yours.

Awesome!

It is getting picked up this Friday, then I have to go pick it up from the guy picking it up... then I can have you over and we can split that sack.

You wouldnt want like 10 pounds of Munich and Vienna at about $.70/pound would you?

I am intending to get into lagering with this buy... yes indeed!

It's all ordered!

550lbs for an average of $.63/lb of quality german and english malts. Prices were cheaper than listed in the 2008 pdf.

It's all ordered!

550lbs for an average of $.63/lb of quality german and english malts. Prices were cheaper than listed in the 2008 pdf.

Oh yeah baby, I am glad we threw this together!

Hey Pol, I'm glad I suggested the site for you guys. I've been watching the activity over the past few days. I would have joined in as well, but I've got to take care of some equipment needs before I start buying more grains.

img_0060.jpg

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

MMM YES!

I just picked up my 40 pounds of speciatly malts yesterday, this looks yummy. Also grabbed some lager yeast. We have to set up a time to split this up!

Z987K.... can I fit 55 pounds in a Homer bucket?! PM me with your number and we will discuss pickup options!

Thanks again!

55lbs will just about split between two Homers.

I picked up 5 handy Rubbermaid 1 gallon "Square storage containers" that hold 5lbs and 4 giant "32cup" (2gallon) cereal containers that hold 10lbs at Wal Mart. Cost about 30 bucks total.

Can't wait!

Back